[2008+] Needing a Word from the Wise - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Needing a Word from the Wise

Dec 30th, I purchased a 2008 Ninja 250r, my first bike. The owner before me was one who clearly didn't spend much time caring for the bike. I've cleaned her up the best I can, but now I'm more concerned with the bikes internal integrity, as I feel it should run more smoothly. It clearly needs an oil change, brake fluids look pretty dark, it sputters a bit while I'm warming it up, and the throttle is sometimes a bit unresponsive. I'm completely new to bikes and engines so it's probably apparent that my knowledge is limited, but to me it seems like I need to get my carbs cleaned. It has 3,300 miles so my question is what do you who have some experience think I should have done to get the bike back to perfect working order, and what all of that should I try to tackle on my own instead of paying a third party?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:04 AM

You could use a this thing called seafoam. Google it's amazing! Other then that clean the air filter, change spark plug, oil, break fluid. Also check for cracked hoses. You can do all of this yourself. If it still runs crappy take to a shop and have them look at it. But make sure you tell them what you do first before they charge you for a new plug and stuff.
Good luck and we love pics here. Let me know how I turns out.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 01:38 PM

I wouldn't use seafoam, and if you do then only use a small amount, as I've seen it do more damage than good on carbs. The carbs are pretty delicate.

I just cleaned mine, but I've had my bike for 2 years and have built up the confidence and knowledge after having worked on my bike myself for these two years (having no prior motorcycle experience). I would not have done the carbs as my first mechanical project with my bike.

Find a small motorcycle shop nearby and call for a quote. It does sound like you've got a carb problem though.

Outside of the carbs, changing the brake fluid is not too hard and neither is an oil change. You should try both of those as soon as you can.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:06 PM

I'm guessing its stock? And where are you located? Stock carb setup is usually sluggish on throttle response.. But altitude also affects performance. That low of miles I would imagine it wouldn't need much work. A dynojet rejet makes a world of a difference even on a stock setup. I've also realized that the engine will have some vibration.. As well as noise..

2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 636
2001 Yamaha YZ426F dirtbike
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:02 AM

If this is your first bike and you feel that you have little confidence in your maintenance skills, I suggest you just invest the money and have a dealer go over the the bike for you. You have plenty of time to buy proper tools, manuals and supplies and learn to wrench on your own. (trust me it will be money well spent) It's important to understand also that proper engine warm up and idle speed is essential to this bike. You can not expect any good throttle response by cranking on the throttle while it is cold (the engine) or if the carbs are dirty.

If you really need to save a few bucks, get with a friend who is knowledgeable about the Ninja 250. Get help and learn from them. Too many times newbs have screwed up their bikes on their own and wasted money and time working on the bike more than riding it.

From your description if sounds as if your carbs may need cleaning. If you are able to at least start the bike, you should try using Star Tron and some fresh fuel to see if that helps clear up your problem a bit first. If the your air filter has not been replaced by now it should. It's very easy to do and it's one thing you can do yourself.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! I plan to change the oil, spark plug, and air filter on my own (with lots of help from YouTube). Also, I'll look into the additives you guys mentioned to see if that will at least suppress my carb issue in while I try to find a worthwhile shop to take her to. (West Tennessee, Jackson area if anyone has suggestions)

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
.....I'll look into the additives you guys mentioned to see if that will at least suppress my carb issue
Star Tron also makes a marine formula, however you don't have to worry about over dosing or getting the mix ratio wrong.

You can find it at Cycle Gear, Walmart (in the Marine section), Advance Auto (small engine/motorcycle section, Auto Zone, West Marine (or other marine/boat stores), Tractor Supply Company, Lowes, and Home Depot, also check your local small engine repair shop.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 06:58 PM

sta-bil marine is what i think dablue1 was talking about and is an excellent product i use daily on watercraft. it has ethenol treatment as well as fuel stabilization and is more concentrated that the red stuff which is just a fuel stabilizer.

ive got some secret batch stuff left over from the good ol days that was made by yamaha and works wonders as well as a few other products, its a 50/50 shot as to weather it works or not depending on the severity of the problem.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetski247 View Post
....sta-bil marine is what i think dablue1 was talking about

Actually there is a product called Star Tron Fuel Treatment. It has become very popular over the past couple of years and has good reviews.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement