[2008+] 2011 Ninja 250R sat since September 2011. Couple questions. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

2011 Ninja 250R sat since September 2011. Couple questions.

Hello everyone. I'm posting this because I have a few questions regarding my Ninja 250R that has sat since about August or September 2011.

I purchased this bike having never ridden before and after buying it and ridding around my neighborhood for a few weeks or so I realized riding wasn't for me. Stupid mistake but I have made bigger mistakes unfortunately. At this time I owe about $2600 on it and I am hoping to sell it off because my girlfriend and I need a second vehicle and I will be completely honest, I have no interest in learning to ride.

Anyways, my buddy was over the other day who is a mechanic and I asked him about getting it running again. To my surprise he acted like it shouldn't be too big of a deal to get it back to normal again. He looked it over and told me everything looks pretty normal. He checked in the gas tank with a flashlight and said it all looks fine / no rust. He then said we need to charge the battery because it is dead, replace the fluids and clean the carburetor, and it should be running like it's brand new. I was under the impression that I did a lot of permanent damage to the bike by letting it set without draining everything, but he told me it shouldn't be damaged at all, just a little dirty essentially. Is this true?

What I am honestly most concerned with though, is if we do all of these things, will it need to be ridden afterwords? I have been looking up stuff about carburetors and I keep seeing stuff like "put a tank of gas through it" or "ride it for 15 miles or so then" etc. Like I said, I have very little experience riding and I would like to get everything fixed without having the ride it at all. I don't know anyone who rides motorcycles that could do it for me either unfortunately. I'm hoping anything we do where we need to run the engine I can do from idling the bike.

Is there anything else I should be checking for that may have been damaged because the bike has been sitting so long? It has been in a completely enclosed and completely dark shed for two years covered with a large blanket. It's a little dusty but otherwise, like I said it's essentially brand new. I think in total the bike has about 50 miles on it (yep, go ahead and laugh at me, haha). The engine hasn't even been broken in yet as I have basically only test driven the thing.

Thanks in advance guys, I wish I was posting here as a rider but I'm the moron with an anxiety disorder that thought he could "get comfortable" on a motorcycle.

Last edited by Ralden; 10-13-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralden View Post
Hello everyone. I'm posting this because I have a few questions regarding my Ninja 250R that has sat since about August or September 2011.

I purchased this bike having never ridden before and after buying it and ridding around my neighborhood for a few weeks or so I realized riding wasn't for me. Stupid mistake but I have made bigger mistakes unfortunately. At this time I owe about $2600 on it and I am hoping to sell it off because my girlfriend and I need a second vehicle and I will be completely honest, I have no interest in learning to ride.

Anyways, my buddy was over the other day who is a mechanic and I asked him about getting it running again. To my surprise he acted like it shouldn't be too big of a deal to get it back to normal again. He looked it over and told me everything looks pretty normal. He checked in the gas tank with a flashlight and said it all looks fine / no rust. He then said we need to charge the battery because it is dead, replace the fluids and clean the carburetor, and it should be running like it's brand new. I was under the impression that I did a lot of permanent damage to the bike by letting it set without draining everything, but he told me it shouldn't be damaged at all, just a little dirty essentially. Is this true?

What I am honestly most concerned with though, is if we do all of these things, will it need to be ridden afterwords? I have been looking up stuff about carburetors and I keep seeing stuff like "put a tank of gas through it" or "ride it for 15 miles or so then" etc. Like I said, I have very little experience riding and I would like to get everything fixed without having the ride it at all. I don't know anyone who rides motorcycles that could do it for me either unfortunately. I'm hoping anything we do where we need to run the engine I can do from idling the bike.

Is there anything else I should be checking for that may have been damaged because the bike has been sitting so long? It has been in a completely enclosed and completely dark shed for two years covered with a large blanket. It's a little dusty but otherwise, like I said it's essentially brand new. I think in total the bike has about 50 miles on it (yep, go ahead and laugh at me, haha). The engine hasn't even been broken in yet as I have basically only test driven the thing.

Thanks in advance guys, I wish I was posting here as a rider but I'm the moron with an anxiety disorder that thought he could "get comfortable" on a motorcycle.
Replace fluids, drain the carbs of the old gas, check/clean and lube the chain. It should be fine after that.

CCS & MCRA #81

2010 YZF-R6
2009 YZF-R6
2010 250R
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the reply. Sorry it took so long to get back. My friend and I are probably going to start working on it this weekend. Hopefully everything goes fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 09:47 PM

There is no question against your interesting blog. You certainly know how to keep a reader entertained. I am waiting you give me a more interested information.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan11 View Post
There is no question against your interesting blog. You certainly know how to keep a reader entertained. I am waiting you give me a more interested information.
Can you dumb this down a bit so i know what you are saying?

sent from my fone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement