[2008+] Lowering an 09 Ninja - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Lowering an 09 Ninja

Hello,

Got a newbie question. I had my ninja lowered ( lowering links ) The guy from the dealership told me not to worry about lowering the front. I've read that whenever you lower the rear that you should also do the front. I found some lowering block/handle bar risers from roaring toyz but, I don't really want my handlebars raised any higher. How do these blocks work? Do I have to raise my handlebars to lower the front? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 12:04 PM

If you don't have trouble planting your foot on the ground, I'd raise the bike to stock level instead... bike geometry and all of that that affects handling.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

well, im a little dude (5'3 135lbs) and I didn't want to risk falling off and dropping the bike. My dilema is: a) just leave it the way it is with just the rear lowered. or b) lower the front as well just to even things out. I know lowering disrupts the geometry and all that but being a new rider it's more of a safety ( confidence) issue. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 04:23 AM

This may be too late....I just purchased an '09 for my 5'2" daughter. It has the 5 hole adjustable lowering ling set at the mid-point. IMO the bike is already top heavy, and the kit changes the angle, for the worse, on the side-stand. She was on her toes on a stock bike in the showroom, but I am thinking heavy/thicker soled shoes/boots for riding, and then re-adjusting the link to a higher position....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM

I've lowered two of the previous generation Ninja 250's:

07 Ninja - I used a longer fixed position dog bone to drop the rear and up front I went with a Wilwood clip-on which allowed me to drop the front forks about 2" if a remember correctly. We also switched to a lower profile rear tire.

My goal was to maintain the suspension geometry as much as possible while lowering the hole bike.
The bike came out really nice but the clip-on put the rider in a more aggressive riding position and this was a bit too extreme for her to get comfortable with as she is pretty small framed. The reach over the tank was a bit much.

05 Ninja - I used an adjustable dog bone which lowered the rear more then the fixed position unit used on the 07 and again swiched to a lower profile rear tire. Up front I used the riser blocks which are 1" thick and utilize the factory clip-ons. This allows you to lower the front of the bike 1" but the clip-ons don't really change position from the ground to grip. The fork tubes rise up through the triple clamps and through the riser blocks until the top of the fork tube extends about 1/2" above the block. then the o.e. clip-on is bolted on to the triple clamp with linger bolts.

This actually worked out pretty well although the rider position is a bit more up right then I would prefer. For someone who is very small framed, having the grips come closer to them is probably going to make them more comfortable to ride even though the suspension is not what I would call an ideal setup. I also had to shorten the kick stand as the amount of drop achieved now required this.

Another note that I'd like to remind you of is that lowering the bike will also limit the lean angle. Whenever I ride the 05 I always scrape the center stand on left turns.

The newer 2008 and up Ninjas still remain very similar mechanically to the older models so much of the techniques used to alter the suspension and ride height are much the same.

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 PM

Great info! Thanks!
A side note: the '09's don't have a center stand, unless Prev.Owner removed it...which is fine for cornering, but makes working on the bike a bit of a hassle.... Just ordered a rear stand today....but I won't be carrying that on rides...I have not yet looked to see if there are even mounts for the center stand, but the "rear stand" mounts are on the swingarm...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 PM

Those 5-hole lowering links (Roaring Toyz brand)... Which hole lowers the frame the most?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 07:31 AM

Freakdawg:
You talk of mounting lower profile tires to help lower the seat height. What brand-model did you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement