[86-07] hanging idle and bike wont run without choke - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Red face hanging idle and bike wont run without choke

Did a search, didnt really find what I was looking for.

bike is an 02 with 24000 miles. Previous owner saie it sat for about a year, but he did have the valve adjusted before it sat.

Only mod ive done is k&n pods (r-0990). Reason being is the stock airbox was mangled where it met up with the carbs.

So, symptoms are hard to start. Wont start without choke on or partial throttle.

When the bike is running with full choke it will hang at about 5000 rpm.

When I turn the choke off, and hold the bike at part throttle, but the rpms will slowly start to go back down (even with the throttle open to the same position) and then will eventually die. Also, when I let off the throttle it will die immediately.

Took the carbs off and sprayed them out ( not the best cleaning in the world)

Took the petcock off, opened it up and cleaned everything

And thats pretty much where I'm at. open to options

Thanks
Gitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitter View Post
.....bike is an 02 with 24000 miles. Previous owner saie it sat for about a year, but he did have the valve adjusted before it sat.

.....Only mod ive done is k&n pods (r-0990). Reason being is the stock airbox was mangled where it met up with the carbs.

...So, symptoms are hard to start. Wont start without choke on or partial throttle.

...When the bike is running with full choke it will hang at about 5000 rpm.

...When I turn the choke off, and hold the bike at part throttle, but the rpms will slowly start to go back down (even with the throttle open to the same position) and then will eventually die. Also, when I let off the throttle it will die immediately.

...Took the carbs off and sprayed them out ( not the best cleaning in the world)

Most of your symptoms point to dirty and improperly cleaned carbs.
Your other problem is that you can not add pod type filters without re-jetting w/ bigger main jets. With pod filters you add more air, therefore you need more gas.

Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Trouble Shooting Guide

How Constant Velocity Carburetors Work
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...bs_work_v3.swf

Motorcycle Carburetor Theory 101
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8nS...eDg/edit?pli=1

Pipe Jetting (A Must Read)
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...s-jetting.html

Carburetor Jet Tech
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...et_tech_v3.swf

Last edited by DaBlue1; 03-02-2013 at 10:37 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 AM

Add to what DaBlue1 said, you'll also need to have the carbs re-synched after you take them off the bike.

Let me repeat that to ANYONE who removes the carbs from their bikes:

You MUST re-synch the carbs ANYTIME they are removed from the bike!!

Otherwise you will have poor performance, hard starting and could potentially damage the engine.

To properly clean carbs after a bike has set for any length of time they need to be FULLY disassembled, all jets and passages cleaned by hand and visually checked to make sure they are clean and open.

NEVER, EVER use a drill on ANY jets as it is very easy to accidentally enlarge the openings. Use a fine wire or paper clip and don't force it through.

If you don't have the synch stick then it is worth it to pay a mechanic to do it.

Last edited by Mxslick; 03-02-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 04:50 PM

Right on about the carb sync. Since the bike has that many miles, the carbs may not be the biggest issue, but like DaBlue said, you should probably give them a proper cleaning anyway.

The symptoms you gave sound exactly what my bike sounded like and did before I synced the carbs. It's a very easy process

Here's a How To for a DIY (and very cheap) carb sync: https://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1693

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

hanging idle and bike wont run without choke

update!!

got the bike running, idle still hangs but usually comes to rest around 1k rpm or alittle lower ( yeah I know thats kinda low)

Replaced pilot jets with 35's (I'm pretty sure it needs 38's because thats what I pulled out of it...one in pieces...)

main jets are 108's right now

needles are shimmed with 2 #4 washers on each

other than that its just the pod and stock exhaust.

you guys think going back to a 38 for the pilot jet would help?

Also I'm getting some fuel leaking out of the bottom near the float bowls, I'm going to replace the bowl gaskets, but should I do the o rings too? Cant really tell where the leak is coming from

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement