[2008+] Engine Ticking sound - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Engine Ticking sound

Hi there folks. I've been lurking on this site for many moons and its always been helpful. Thanks a bunch. I actually have an issue, myself, that started maybe a week ago and thought Id see what you guys thought of it.

It's an 09 Ninja 250r with 8500 miles on it. Had all major suggested tune-ups by my mechanic. (600 mi, 2500 mi, 6000 mi). Been maybe 2-3k miles since my last oil change and looking to do that Saturday assuming I get time from work.

Changes to the bike: light integration kit, seat cowl, smoked windscreen, fender eliminator, and muffler. Muffler was recently changed back to stock OEM due to noise related fix-it ticket.

The issue is that its recently started "ticking" when the engine is running. I can hear it at speeds of less than 40-ish and it seems most prominent at 2500 rpm. (or at least most audible). The ticking speed is directly related to the rpms. "tick...tick....tick..." at idle compared to "tickticktickticktick" when gas is applied. When I initially start it, it wont make the sound. But when I rev it or once it gets warm I can hear it even when in neutral or standing idle. There seems to be no real loss in power, speed or performance, it is just pretty annoying and Im trying to get to the bottom of it before it becomes a bigger problem. Curious if anyone had any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 AM

Without actually hearing the sound it's hard to say what it is you hear, because people describe sounds differently. However keep in mind that the Ninja 250 is a noisy bike and makes all kinds of weird 'normal' sounds.

Timing chains tend to make more of a clatter or tinking noise that increases with engine speed, however the carbs also make a ticking noise as well which also can be a normal sound. There is also a possibility that you have a slight slide rattle, which can be heard more at idle and tends to go away when throttle is applied. Even though we have Keihin carbs this info about slide rattle from Mikuni may help a little since they work similar. http://www.mikuni.com/c-faq.html
Also some info from Factory Pro. http://www.factorypro.com/tech/needle_jet_wear.html

In the video I start the bike up and let it warm up with no choke, just small throttle inputs.
The bike has been sitting for the last 7 seven days in the garage. The temp in the garage at the time of start up is 79 degrees. The temp outside is 85 degrees. The bike (a 2009) has two shims, snorkel removed, a Pipercross air filter and external oil cooler running 20w 50 Castrol Act*Evo oil and has 17k miles on it. As the camera is placed closer to the engine you can hear ticking noises while the engine is cold. Even as it up warms up the level of the ticking noise really does not change much. Even after a longer ride when the engine is really hot enough for the fan to come on and the tank to start whistling , the level of noise does not change. My bike has sounded pretty much like this since I bought it new off the showroom floor. It runs just a tad bit quieter with the stock filter, snorkel and no shims. Changing the way the air flows in the intake has resulted in the engine’s resonance changing and become a little louder. That has been made evident by the removal of the snorkel, so basically what I am hearing is normal engine noise on a very small, carbureted, thin walled, simple engine with a permanently attached transmission w/ constantly meshed gears mounted to a steel frame with no rubber to dampen vibration or sound. Is it noisy? Yes a little. But it runs great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXHL1KXmwKc
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Hey DaBlue, thanks for the quick reply.

In the video at 3:30, as the bike is revving down, it sounds like that higher pitched ticking in the background, only all the time. Ill take some video of it at lunch and send it to you so you can hear it, but judging from what you are saying and from the engine sounds in the video, I'd say my bike is fine. Ill still take it in for this oil change and tune up though rather than doing it myself just to be on the safe side.

As you were saying, I can't really hear it at higher RPMs. Maybe its just breaking in? Meh.

Thanks a ton for dropping some knowledge on me man. Super helpful.

AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 AM

An oil change can do wonders for noise. I found that the Ninja can shear some oils down to a lower weight. So, if you've been running hard with 10w-40 it can possibly be 10w-30 now. I ride year round round and I usually do my oil changes more frequently in the summer than in the winter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Im pretty much the same. I live in southern California and ride on any day it doesnt rain, not that I dont trust my bike in the rain, more that LA drivers are simply oblivious to motorcyclists when its raining. Cuts my commute from 2 hours down to 30 minutes (18 miles...yay LA traffic). Lately its been getting colder and my work load at work has been piling up so I havent had much of an opportunity to change the oil. Ill change it on saturday and post the results. Hopefully this helps someone else with a similar ticking sound.

Thanks again DaBlue. Again, a huge help.

AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement