[86-07] Rear Brake Pad Removal - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Rear Brake Pad Removal

I have my caliper in hand and have been able to get the outboard pad out but don't see how the inboard pad comes out. I slide the caliper bracket all the way out and it hits the pad before exiting the slide holes. How do you get the outside pad out?

Last edited by o1racing03; 10-31-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 03:42 PM

did you push the break piston in?

Worlds fastest 250 ninja. 123.369 mph
www.darkhorseracing9623.com
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

The piston side pad is the one without the hole tabs that the pins go through. That pad falls right out, so the pistons are not the issue. It's the inboard pad that I was having difficulty with. I called the dealership and got what I expected, a service department that doesn't have a freakin clue. They couldn't tell me. But while they were on the phone I was able to figure it out that by pushing the bracket all the way in allowed the pad to be turned up at an angle so it could come out. What surprised me is the pistons are not even protruding from the bores and the pads are almost worn out. I can only assume they pushed the pistons back in to disassemble everything. I'm having to machine just about everything on this wheel to fit it to my bike. I had to machine the cush hub bearing race in an additional .306, take .306 off the face of the hub, and .306 off the end of the spacer between the cush hub and the wheel,bearing just to get the wheel centered in my swing arm. Now I will have to machine off some of the end of the aluminum caliper bracket that sits against the swing arm at the axle. And then everything is backwards from your bikes as my chain drive is right side so I run the wheel backwards.

Last edited by o1racing03; 10-31-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
did you push the break piston in?
They are brake pistons and there are 2 of them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Where can you get a deal on brake pads? It amazes me that one caliper set of pads for this bike cost almost as much as a pair of Performance Friction High Performance pads for my truck and they are about 1/10 the size.

Never mind, I just found carbon/kevlar pads for $10.89 at D2moto.com

Last edited by o1racing03; 10-31-2012 at 04:26 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 06:08 PM

I replaced the front and rear upon purchase and just ordered them on ebay, but made sure they were a name-brand. Think I paid about $35 combined.. I could be wrong

if you're looking for racing type pads then I have no clue

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadster00 View Post
I replaced the front and rear upon purchase and just ordered them on ebay, but made sure they were a name-brand. Think I paid about $35 combined.. I could be wrong

if you're looking for racing type pads then I have no clue
Since 75-90% of your braking is with the front wheel it really doesn't matter IMHO what quality pads you run in the back for the street. Even the cheapest pads can able you to lock the back wheel.
The cheapest pad on ebay right now is $25 for one wheel.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1racing03 View Post
Since 75-90% of your braking is with the front wheel it really doesn't matter IMHO what quality pads you run in the back for the street. Even the cheapest pads can able you to lock the back wheel.
The cheapest pad on ebay right now is $25 for one wheel.
Not sure what keywords you're using in your search. If brand doesn't matter, they're about $11 a piece right now

Rear: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Semi-Metalli...78acdb&vxp=mtr

front: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Carbon...257726&vxp=mtr

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 05:43 AM

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

When I searched yesterday I was looking for "2005 EX250 brake pads" and those didn't come up, today they do. I have to chuckle at all the listings that say they are for the front or for the rear. The EX250 uses the same pad front and rear. After further review it looks like the early ones used different pads but the 08 and up use the same pads front and rear.
What surprised me even more is this is the same tiny pad used on bikes up 1100cc

Last edited by o1racing03; 11-01-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement