[2008+] Just did first valve adjustment... - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Cool Just did first valve adjustment...

So, I just did my first valve adjustment on my ninja. Has anyone here done this service themselves? I'm just curious on what the clearances on your bikes were. It seemed the intake valves did not need adjustment, all 4 in spec (0.15-0.24, 0.19mm desired), however, the exhaust valves were way tight! There was also quite a difference in gap between two valves of the same cylinder. Cyl 1 measured 0.08mm/0.08mm, Cyl 2 measured 0.16mm/0.10mm! (Spec is 0.22-0.29mm, 0.25mm desired). After timing and torqueing camshafts, I rechecked the tolerances and achieved desired tolerances on all valves.

Mileage is 11,900~ Purchased Feb 16, 2012..
I commute A LOT on this bike, it's one reason I bought it. Also to learn to ride, this is my first bike. I've done most maintainance myself as I enjoy learning new things, especially when it comes to mechanical stuff...

2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 636
2001 Yamaha YZ426F dirtbike
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 AM

nice! I did it for the first time at the end of the summer. Makes you feel pretty proud of yourself doesn't it? lol. You probably saved yourself $300

the valve clearances are always gonna be all over the place. Just has to do with the original clearances and other things. Even if two are just barely off, after 6,000 miles the clearances could be quite different. Nothing to be worried about or anything like that.

As long as they're within spec, you'll be fine. Have you noticed a huge difference with the way your motor sounds and runs?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Well, I did notice a difference. Motor is a bit loud, but from what I understand about these engines is that they are gonna be noisy. Quiet engines are when you need to start worrying. After assembling the top end and torqueing cap bolts to spec, I double checked timings d clearances to verify the adjustment brought valves into spec. Gladly, they were all right on spec. Before the service, I was noticing a power drop after 11000 rpm, possibly due to what I now kno could have been the exhaust valves to tight, and not able to fully close, especially at high rpms. During the test drive after the service, I got on the highway was able to climb through my high end range no problem... Achieved 100mph at 12000 rpm. It seems that the powerband was restored and broadened..

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZninja2012 View Post
So, I just did my first valve adjustment on my ninja. Has anyone here done this service themselves? I'm just curious on what the clearances on your bikes were. It seemed the intake valves did not need adjustment, all 4 in spec (0.15-0.24, 0.19mm desired), however, the exhaust valves were way tight! There was also quite a difference in gap between two valves of the same cylinder. Cyl 1 measured 0.08mm/0.08mm, Cyl 2 measured 0.16mm/0.10mm! (Spec is 0.22-0.29mm, 0.25mm desired). After timing and torqueing camshafts, I rechecked the tolerances and achieved desired tolerances on all valves.

Mileage is 11,900~ Purchased Feb 16, 2012..
I commute A LOT on this bike, it's one reason I bought it. Also to learn to ride, this is my first bike. I've done most maintainance myself as I enjoy learning new things, especially when it comes to mechanical stuff...
Thanks for this info. Just yesterday I was thinking of doing this for the first time on this bike I just wondered how much they may be out after nearly 5000 miles? Thanks again!
Ride like you're invisible!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Just make sure you got everything you need to get it done and plan ahead so you have time to do the service. It took me quite a few hours, but I also took my time to make sure I did everything to spec. Timing it took the most time for me.. I would advise marking the chain and cams (if they are not already marked) to make it easier.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement