[2008+] which oil for the first... - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

which oil for the first...

So I am comming up to the first 600 mile oil change. I have read many articles on oil for this motorcycle. I am familiar with this topic as it seemed to be of high interest in the Ninja 500r forums.

Obviously we know I am talking about the Shell Rotella T. I know that this is a favorite amongst small ninja owners. I have also considered Amsoil motorcycle oil. I know it's about the same price for a gallon of Shell as it is for one quart of Amsoil($11/qt).

My question is, should I stick with Amsoil because Amsoil recommends changing the oil at twice the manufacturer interval (or 1 year), or should I stick with the favorite Rotella T and change more frequently?

Let's look at some of the facts. Amsoil will run me about $25 with tax plus the cost of 2 filters. Although Amsoil is good for twice the interval, I would only stick with the manufacturer interval of 7500 miles for the second change with a mid way filter change.

Or,

Use Shell Rotella T @ about $13/gal plus the cost of 2 filters. That's good for 2 oil changes which, realistically, will last me a year at about the same cost as above. The only plus side to this is I get fresh oil at the cost of 1 change.

But which oil is better? I drive mostly city right now because of break-in. Once I make 1000 miles, it's on to the highway at least half the time? Any opinions on Amsoil vs Shell Rotella T?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 PM

I don't have any experience with Amsoil, but I do with the Rotella T

personally, I haven't noticed a huge difference between other oil and Rotella T. I've changed my oil at a consistent 3,000 miles and couldn't tell you a real difference. I have always used full synthetic oil though.

One thing that I have noticed is that Rotella didn't burn as quickly as the oil I currently have. I do a lot of highway riding so my engine's constantly hot and at high RPM's. Maybe that's why people like it.

I suppose I'd recommend Rotella, but as long as you're consistent about changing it, it's not gonna matter a whole lot.

Just go with a namebrand oil that's fully synthetic and you'll be fine. People also argue over with to use 10w-40, 15w-40, and 5w-40. As far as I know, it depends on what the weather and climate of your area is like.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 AM

If your under warranty like me you have to use Kawasaki oil. Its $6 a quart

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

I beg to differ on the warranty...the manual says Kawi oil or other oils that meet the specs.

I will look into it though...but there is a law that will not allow manufacturers to do that unless it specifically states in the warranty agreement.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Last edited by Ricomtzjr; 10-16-2012 at 11:30 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 AM

When I purchased my bike I was told that if for some reason my engine went loco that Kawasaki would test to see what engine oil had been run and anything but Kawasaki brand oil would void the warranty.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomtzjr View Post
....But which oil is better? I drive mostly city right now because of break-in. Once I make 1000 miles, it's on to the highway at least half the time? Any opinions on Amsoil vs Shell Rotella T?

That will be a matter of personal preference. The price of Amsoil is a bit high for most while the Rotella is more economical. I've used Amsoil and did not like the way the clutch shifted afterwards. It was notchey in all gears, but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert13 View Post
....When I purchased my bike I was told that if for some reason my engine went loco that Kawasaki would test to see what engine oil had been run and anything but Kawasaki brand oil would void the warranty.

Vehicle manufacturers recommend using motor oils meeting certain grades and American Petroleum Institute service requirements. Whether the motor oil is petroleum based or synthetic will not affect warranty coverage. The manufacturer is required to cover all equipment failures it would normally cover as long as the oil meets the requirements and was not the cause of the failure. The Federally mandated Magnuson-Moss Act states that a manufacturer may not require the use of a specific brand of aftermarket product unless it is provided free of charge.

Only if an oil is determined to be the direct cause of an engine problem can a manufacturer or dealership deny warranty coverage for that specific problem.

To affect the vehicle warranty, the lubricant must be directly responsible for the failure. If the oil did not cause the problem the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of the brand of oil used, or the length of time or number of miles the oil was used. To flatly inform customers that the use of non Kawasaki Branded Motor Oil, voids their warranty is not true. However using a weight not recommended by the manufacturer may cause the engine to perform adversely.

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

^ yup!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 07:45 AM

I got jipped. I did get it for a decent price anyway

Sponsored Links
Advertisement