[86-07] Issues a with bike that's been sitting - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Issues a with bike that's been sitting

So I'm looking at buying a 250r and I've got my eye on one that's been sitting for quite a while. Its a 2007 with only 1273 miles on it but is been sitting for more than a few years. The owners says it will start but won't idle without the choke. He recently replaced the battery, cleaned the carb bowls, and put fresh gas in it. My question is is this a case of needing an extensive carb cleaning and jetting? Or could I be looking at a lot more work.

I realize this is impossible to definitely diagnose without seeing the bike. I'm just not familiar with the 250 enough to know of I should be looking for another issue. He's asking $2000 obo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Mdayton; 05-29-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 05:33 PM

Even though the owner has cleaned the carb bowls, the fact that the bike starts and only runs with the choke on, is an indication that the pilot jets (responsible for the idle) are clogged and need cleaning. If you purchase the bike, you may want to try some Star Tron Fuel Treatment before you tear into the carbs or have them cleaned. Until the bike is running efficiently, it will be hard to tell other than looks, what other problems may lurk. A 2007 with low miles may not have too many other issues other than a oil change and new tires. Only you and or a mechanic will be able to tell.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 11:51 AM

Hey MDayton, you still here or just a one-post wonder?
Did you get the 250? (I don't feel there's a need to say 'r' since they don't make a non-r).
A month ago I got a '07 with a mere 194 miles on it. It too got a fresh battery and I had my mechanic properly clean the carbs and adjust them.
Since the bike sat in a garage the whole time, I wasn't worried about 5-year old tires. Reached 500 miles last week, changed the oil. Wasn't worried about the oil being more than 2-months old either.
It's funny how some members here state that they change their oil every 2-months.
What the hell for? I go by mileage, time means nothing to me.

I'm not far from Irvine if you ever need help or riding groups to join.
Cycle Gear is a good place to get stuff, M Squared in Fountain Valley is a good shop, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement