[2008+] 2010/10 ninja overheating/pants getting fried. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

2010/10 ninja overheating/pants getting fried.

So there's this ninja I'm thinking of buying. It's a 10/11 model, couple of owners before this one, and they want to sell cos they're not using it much.
I had a first look at it the other day and most parts look okay but not maintained. Seems to me like service hasn't been done in a while although the petrol doesn't seem old in the tank - no discolouration. Bar ends are heavily scraped possibly indicating a fall but seller says none - not the most mechanically inclined person, he is though.
The chain looks like crap and oil a the see through looks pitch black.

I rode the bike (couple of kms) today and there were a couple of things that concerned me. One was that front brakes had little to no bite or feedback - at indicated 80(thats km) felt shower - and for a twin disc setup, it took awful amounting stopping time, distance and pressure.
But the thing that most concerned me was the the engine got seriously hot, I mean there were hot gases being constantly sent to my legs, cooking them through the jeans!
I have ridden a friends 300(not 250) and I haven't felt any hot-air get out.

So my question is this - do 250s run hot, or is it a cooling system /coolant level issue - how hot did it get? Got to the point where the fuel tank was hot - kid you not!

Any tips, suggestions or such most welcome. I haven't decided on the bike yet...

Cheers

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 12:38 PM

Garage
Assuming the maintenance was poor, I wouldn't be surprised if the coolant is low.

When buying a motorcycle, assume no maintenance has been done to it, and start from there.

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Assuming the maintenance was poor, I wouldn't be surprised if the coolant is low.

When buying a motorcycle, assume no maintenance has been done to it, and start from there.
Thanks, that's where I was heading from. The overheating of the tank was what put me off - I wanted to do mini highway sprint but that heat build up, near the tank that too was a "don't take the risk!" warning!

Sent using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 05:58 AM

Probably want to look at some other bikes! The red flags that you noticed immediately could mean a break down is imminent. Bike needs some serious maintenance if it isn't to far gone already. Also sounds like brake pads may need to be changed, lines flushed and maybe hoses swapped out. Possible the brake cylinders rebuilt? Then there's the chain, cleaned lubed maybe replaced. Oil and filter too! Hopefully it isn't completely broken down causing accelerated engine wear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement