Odd flasher problem - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Odd flasher problem

I recently installed some rear LED turn signals along with a new flasher unit on my 2012 Ninja. All the turn signals work fine like they should until about 2 weeks ago. My left two turn signals(front and rear) work perfectly but when I have my right turn signal on it works perfectly until I rev the bike up past 5k rpm, when that happens my left rear turn signal starts flashing with both, front and rear, right turn signals. Also, when that happens, my turn signal indicator light on my dash goes really dim. I'm puzzled and assistance would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 06:30 PM

Is the new flasher an electronic one? With all the turn signals flashing at once, it'd be normal for the cluster lights to dim due to the amount of power going through all of the lights at once.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 01:43 AM

Garage
I've done the LED modification many times, and only one flasher does the trick, and works as promised, the Tridon EP34. EP34 "equivalents" (such as the Blazer FL34) have been known to not work properly. Try an actual Tridon EP34 if you have problems with an alternative brand.

Tridon EP34 Flasher https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00064LQKS..._1q3hwbGD1HQSJ

It does have three pins, so you need to add the extra wire, which is a ground wire.

Are all the turn signals LEDs? If so you might want to read this,
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/My_LED_...e_same_time.22

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.

Last edited by Ghostt; 10-15-2015 at 01:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

I believe the new flasher is electronic, yes. I did post this same problem somewhere else and people replied saying the problem might be the voltage regulator.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_for_life77 View Post
I believe the new flasher is electronic, yes. I did post this same problem somewhere else and people replied saying the problem might be the voltage regulator.
Most electrical problems start at the battery. Check you battery terminal connections first as they tend to loosen and can cause lights and gauges to act erratically

See Motorcycle Battery & Battery Charging Tips

- if you notice the lights are dim, recharge the battery.

- when revving the engine, and the lights dim you may need to replace the battery or the rectifier/regulator

- if activating the horn, brakes or turn signals increases the rpm speed, charge or replace the battery.

- if your lights on the Ninja 250 begin to flicker or your gauges or engine speed start to act erratically, check your battery connections
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 04:31 AM

Garage
You said

Quote:
I believe the new flasher is electronic
What exactly did you use, make and model, I've seen many flasher relays claim to be electronic, when they are not, that's why I exclusively use the Tridon EP34 this reason.

The voltage will vary with RPMs, but once it's past about 4k it should be constant, at idle/low it will be less.

The OEM R/R is a old school technology, which is why I converted both my EX500 & Ninja 250 to the mosfet R/R CONVERSION, it's better at maintaining the voltage, along with other benefits.

Here is my write-up on the subject, https://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11553

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

The make and model of my new flasher unit is Novita EL12. And I believe my regulator/ rectifier still works completely fine because I used a multimeter to test the voltage of the battery and it idled around 13-13.5v and went up to 14.5v like it should.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 04:52 PM

Garage
Not electronic flasher, try the EP34,

ZX-2R Photo gallery

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

According to Amazon, the EP34 won't fit my bike
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 09:04 PM

Garage
You will have to add a separate ground wire, and perhaps cut the OEM connector, and crimp female spade connectors.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

Sponsored Links
Advertisement