[2008+] New engine? Cost? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

New engine? Cost?

I have a 2009 Kawasaki ninja 250r and the 3rd gear shifter fork is broken and it leaks oil, so instead of messing with all of that I think I'm going to buy a whole new engine from eBay then get it switched out...

I'm curious, has anyone done this before? Around how much did you spend on labor, or how hard was it to switch it? I barely know anything about engines, so I'm probably gonna pay someone. I just don't have a lot of cash to play with. I found an engine on eBay for $400, I just don't wanna be caught paying another $400 on labor for a shop to do it.
Just please share your experiences, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 05:32 PM

Garage
It's a DIY nod for sure not hard at all, it's easier than taking the carburetors off.

I've seen then on eBay go for about $500.00 USD

It takes about 3 hours to do this; having a helper for the actual lowering process helps a lot:

Remove fairing, sidecovers and fuel tank.
Remove exhaust headers (canisters can stay in place).
Remove carburettors.
Disconnect shifter; remove countershaft cover and sprocket.
Unbolt radiator; radiator can be left attached by hoses.
Temporarily pull the top main hose going to the radiator filler neck, and reroute it below the frame (you'll lose a few ounces of coolant); reattach. Pull the small overflow hose. Unbolt the thermostat from the frame.
Remove the front engine mounting bolt, and two front mounting "wings," along with their coils/wires.
Disconnect remaining wiring: two connectors at rear of engine, starter, battery ground, temperature sending, oil pressure, radiator fan and neutral position wires.
Support motor with a floor jack under the oil filter; remove 2 rear motor mount nuts/bolts.
Lower it slowly and see if anything else is attached.

Note: If you are removing the engine to rebuild it, it makes more sense to drain the coolant and oil before pulling it. The steps above to avoid draining the coolant are assuming a basic engine swap procedure.

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement