[2008+] White smoke out of exhaust? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

White smoke out of exhaust?

After about a week of maintenance, I finally got my 250 running again. 9 changed the spark plugs and the oil and cleaned the carbs. When I turn the bike on it sounds great. It idles at about 2000rpms with out choke, but with the choke on the rpms rise continuously until about 4000 rpms. The first time it gets throttle, it dies. Once it's started back up and gets throttle, it blows out a lot of white smoke from the exhaust. It also reeks of gasoline.

Any one have any experience with this? I'm wondering if I blew a head gasket, but the bike didn't put out the white smoke until after I did all of that maintenence, so that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Maybe the air box isn't secured to the carbs tight enough? This is my first bike, so I don't have a ton of experience, a lot of it has been hit and miss. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 02:11 PM

Your idle speed is too high. It should be set to about 1300 rpms once the bike is warm. Proper use and adjustment of the choke is essential.

White/gray smoke may be a sign of a couple of problems, but not uncommon.

https://www.250r.net/forum/showpost.p...84&postcount=2
https://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2578
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Awesome. Thank you so much. I have read that wbite smoke could also be an indicator of a blown head gasket, however you don't seem to have that listed. Is that incorrect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyHippo View Post
... I have read that wbite smoke could also be an indicator of a blown head gasket, however you don't seem to have that listed. Is that incorrect?

That is correct. However a blown head gasket will usually result will coolant mixed with oil in the crankcase (result: milky looking oil).
From the Troubleshooting Guide...

Exhaust Smokes Excessively:
White smoke:

Piston oil ring worn
Cylinder worn
Valve oil seal damaged
Valve guide worn
Engine oil level too high

Black smoke:

Air cleaner clogged
Main jet too large or fallen off
Choke plunger stuck open
Fuel level in carburetor float bowl too high

Brown smoke:
Main jet too small
Fuel level in carburetor float bowl too low
Air cleaner duct loose
Air cleaner poorly sealed or missing

Last edited by DaBlue1; 04-28-2015 at 04:45 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Hmm. Okay. With all the research I've done, it's probably something oil related. I'm having a hard time telling if the smoke is white or blue. But I definitely do not think it is coolant related. I marked my coolant line last night and let the bike run fof about half an hour, and the level didn't move. So I don't think that's the problem.

However, that being said, I did notice my oil level is incredibly low. I changed the oil a couple nights ago and put in abouf a quart and a half, but I'm already below the low line? Which makes no sense to me.

I don't have leak anywhere, so it's not that, which means I must be burning it. But I don't understand why. It didn't do this until after I did all that maintenence. The only thing I can say for sure that I noticed that was different is that when I changed the oil, I noticed I was missing the spring thag went under the filter. I'm not sure what exactly that spring is for, or if it could be the problem. But I don't think the bike even had it before I changed the oil.

I don't even know where to start with this. I think maybe I'll run some seafoam through it, order the spring , and maybe take the exhaust off to see what's in it. I'm really worried my engine is shot. I really don't feel like I have the skill to mess with the engine. But we will see.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 05:17 AM

Make sure you are correctly checking your oil level.
The bike must be level with both wheels on the ground and not on the side stand when checking the oil.
Your oil level should be somewhere between the upper and lower mark on the sight glass.

You are probably overfilled.

The spring under the filter has a dual purpose. 1.) it pushes the oil filter up to the top of the bypass valve (bolt) 2.) keeps tension on the cover.

If you are missing the spring you are probably missing the washer too. you need to replace both. This is part of your issue.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...ump-oil-filter
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

OKAY. In case anyone is curious, this is what the actual problem was:

When cleaning my carbs I believe I touched a screw that I was told adjusted the fuel air mixture. What I did not realize was that adjusting this incorrectly could cause the cyclinders to work against each other. I had more fuel coning in on one cylinder than I did on the other, which eventually cause gasoline to flood my crankcase.

On top of that, missing that spring and washer made it so there was less pressure in the crankcase, causing the oil to flow more freely. The combination of both of these things caused oil and gasoline to burn out of my exhaust and leak in several places on the bike. (I was not overfilled. I didn't even put in the max, yet I was already below the low line after a fay of having new oil.)

The solution to all of this is to sync the carbs so that the cylinders are working together and not avainst each other, get the new spring and washer so there's more pressure in the crankcase and flush out all of the old oil several times with new oil. Along with this I will be running seafoam through the tank to clean everythung out a little. I can't do anything with it for a couple weeks until I have the spring, but once everything is back in order I'll update with the new results =]
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Okayyy so after syncing the carbs and flushing out the crankcase, I am STILL burning a ton of oil. I think it's possible my piston rings need replaced. However I find it more likely that it is the float needles that are having problems. I will hopefully end up pursuing that problem and getting it fixed. If this fails I will probably resort to taking it to a dealer unfortunately. =(
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

In case anyone is still curious in reading this, it was a carb problem. But it wasn't that they needed syncing or the float needles needed adjusted. According to the shop I took it to they were just GROSS. In places I wouldn't have been able to reach with just stuff at home. So they cleaned em up and jow the bike runs great and I'm nack on the road =]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 01:30 PM

So just to be clear.... All you needed to do was clean your carbs properly?

Sent from my D2533 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement