2008 Ninja 250R oil / filter change and common torque specs
Oil type: API SE, SF, SG, SH, SJ or SL with JASO MA.
Viscosity : SAE 10W-40
Capacity: 1.4 qt, or 1.7qt when filter is also replaced.
Oil drain bolt: 14.5lb-ft
Oil filter mounting bolt: 14.5lb-ft
Oil screen mounting bolts: 7.25lb-ft (87lb-in)
Frequency: According to the service manual, it's recommended that you change the oil filter every oil change, and oil change at every 7500 miles (yes that's seven thousand five-hundred miles).
You do not need a rear stand for this, but it's highly recommended.
* REMEMBER TO LOCTITE ALL BOLTS!!!
* Warm the engine just enough for the oil to circulate freely.
* Place oil pan under the bike to catch the oil.
* Remove the drain bolt, and replace the washer if it's worn/damaged.
* Remove the 5 oil screen bolts, 3 short and 2 long.
* Remove the screen from the engine and clean it (many need to use a small flat head screw driver to pry it out)
* Put the screen back into the engine, gasket on the screen housing, tighten the oil screen bolts, 7.25lb-ft.
* Tighten both the drain bolt and oil filter to specs, 14.5lb-ft.
* Remove and replace oil filter, 14.5lb-ft for the filter bolt.
* Fill up the oil (1.7qt with oil filter replaced).