[86-07] Bike only runs with choke on - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Bike only runs with choke on

OK I'm hoping for a quick reply as this bike is my only transportation haha. So yesterday on my way home from work i went to give the bike some gas and out of nowhere it stalled out! After pulling over it would only start with the choke fully on but if I gave it to much throttle it would bog down & stall. Today I took the bike apart and cleaned the carbs good put it all back together and still having the same problem. Anyone have any ideas? I was gonna try cleaning the petcock tomorrow but don't wanna waste any more time if it won't help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 11:27 AM

Garage
Needing the choke to start and run when it's already warm is an indication of dirty pilot jets, and pilot circuit. So my question to you is did you do a thorough, and meticulous cleaning, removed all the jets(4) removed the idle screws, etc...., and do you currently run a fuel filter?

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

I cleaned all 4 jets with carb cleaner and a toothbrush making sure all the holes were clear. I did not remove idle screws, to be honest I'm still kinda new to doing my own maintenance on the bike. Are the idle screws the fuel mixture ones that are capped or no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to reply about the fuel filter. It currently doesn't have one, I thought it had the inline filter but found out earlier today it doesn't so I'll be getting one ASAP
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 PM

Garage
Yes they are capped from the factory, but easy enough to remove them, just be careful there is a small o-ring and spring behind the idle mixture needle.

Did you remove the jets, or clean them in place? If you cleaned them in place, you didn't really clean them, there are smaller holes on the sides of the jets that need to be cleaded as well, and once you have to all the jets out, and the idle mixture needle, and main needles blast every and all holes thoroughly. Don't forget the float needles as well.

Here are some visual aids that help explain what does what
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1409176818897.jpg (15.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 1409176870834.jpg (43.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 1409176894336.jpg (21.4 KB, 13 views)

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Yes I had the main and pilot jets out and made sure you could see clearly through all the small holes. How did you go about taking the caps off the mixture screws? Guess I'll be walking to work the next couple of days as I won't have enough time to rip it apart again till Saturday :-/
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 08:29 AM

Garage
You can either use a small drill bit, or a dremmil, once you put a small hole in the cap they usually pop right out.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 AM

Garage
If your not comfortable working on the carbs, there is a friend, and forum member on the EX-500.COM forum that I'm also a member of ,that is a wizard at rebuilding carbs, and custom work and he offers his services, just mail him the carbs, and he has a very quick turn around time,

ZX-2R Photo gallery

Last edited by Ghostt; 08-28-2014 at 08:41 AM.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

This will be my 3rd time cleaning them I wouldn't say I'm 100% comfortable doing it but hey I gotta learn if I don't wanna pay out the A$$ to a shop haha. I'm gonna finally get time Saturday to work on them again and don't have work so I'll have most of the day, I did get some seafoam I know some guys on this forum hate it but I've seen it work alot before so I'm gonna try it after I put my new inline fuel filter on and before I take everything apart again in hopes that it will help. I'm sure I'll post again tomorrow if I run into any snags. Thanx for your replys
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 PM

Garage
Something else you might want to try first is the next time it does it open the gas cap, if that fixes it, then the cap vent is defective and/or blocked.

If it is remove the cap, disassemble it and remove the two little red rubber diaphragms. The pictures are of a Ninja 500 cap, but it's the same as the 250.

I have done mine when I was rebuilding the bike so I wouldn't have to worry about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1409371848827.jpg (35.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1409371869212.jpg (40.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 1409371888899.jpg (46.1 KB, 14 views)

ZX-2R Photo gallery

Sponsored Links
Advertisement