Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gloucester, Va, USA
How to piss off the parts guy
A lot of people are paying full list because they don't know how to act around the auto parts guy. Here is a top 10 of things not to do in front of the parts guy.
1. Don't know what you are working on. If you don't know the exact year, you are paying list price.
2. Don't speak like a human. Just start shouting out facts about your vehicle. (Dodge truck owners are the worst about this.) Just say "Dodge, Magnum, Ram, 2500, 2002, Waterpump". If you speak like this, you are gonna pay full list price.
3. Think that I remember you from the phone. Parts guys take hundreds of calls a day, they don't remember harry homeowner with the Lumina.
4. Say "They are all the same". A real popular phrase from farmers. If they were all the same, the parts business would not invest millions of dollars a year in cataloging.
5. Bring a part in full of fluid. Make sure that it is full of gas, oil, or even better, powersteering fluid.
6. Don't use your thumb. God gave us an opposing digit, but still use two of your fingers to hold a credit card.
7. Return anything.
8. Make personal remarks. Yankee folks are the worst about this. The parts guy does not want to tell you where he lives or what he drives. Its none of your business.
9. Ask what's wrong with your car. Pay a tech.
10. Come around the counter and look at my screen. I really don't need you seeing that im really on the Ninja 250r Forum instead of lookin up your part.