A few good tips on lane splitting /sharing - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Head Janitor

A few good tips on lane splitting /sharing

Since California is the only state that still allow this practice, it's appropriate to post it here I guess.

http://www.whybike.com/motorcycle5.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 10:56 PM

Thats some great advice... but I still wont lane split. Ive already had one door come flying open. Never again.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Malaqui
good read. thanks for the tips

Go Go Kawasaki Go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
Thats some great advice... but I still wont lane split. Ive already had one door come flying open. Never again.
Did it happen on the freeway or on surface streets? I don't lane share much on surface streets, MAYBE to get to the front of a long row of cars at a light, but that's it.

https://www.250r.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1217136591

If you feel like you've outgrown your 250, you've probably outgrown your helmet too.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMoe View Post
Did it happen on the freeway or on surface streets? I don't lane share much on surface streets, MAYBE to get to the front of a long row of cars at a light, but that's it.
It was coming down a freeway off ramp
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 02:59 PM

I do it pretty frequently to be honest. I don't like cars that drive 10 mph under the speed limit, specially when they are side by side. Also in my area it can get quite busy between 3PM-7PM from all the people getting home from work so if I want to go anywhere I have no choice unless I want to be in stop and go traffic.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91stealthtt View Post
I do it pretty frequently to be honest. I don't like cars that drive 10 mph under the speed limit, specially when they are side by side. Also in my area it can get quite busy between 3PM-7PM from all the people getting home from work so if I want to go anywhere I have no choice unless I want to be in stop and go traffic.
Unless they're going 15mph, be careful with that, you can get ticketed for anything over 10 or 15mph.

https://www.250r.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1217136591

If you feel like you've outgrown your 250, you've probably outgrown your helmet too.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMoe View Post
Unless they're going 15mph, be careful with that, you can get ticketed for anything over 10 or 15mph.
Oh I know but that is a rare occasion otherwise when I do split lanes in traffic the traffic is usually going 3-5mph
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 08:04 PM

I've clipped a cager mirror with my mirror before. Totally my fault, though, and I don't even think they noticed because it barely made a sound and the mirror didn't even budge.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Head Janitor

Two cagers today almost clipped me while I was lane splitting. They changed lane abruptly w/o signaling, and close too. I decided to ride with my high beem on to make myself more noticeable. On top of that, a fellow biker cut me off close cuz I wasn't lane splitting ast enough for him. My bullet cam should be here soon. I have semi-permanently attached to my track bike so I'm a bit lazy to reuse it for my street bike. It's $50 for a 420-line bullet cam on ebay, reusing the DVR recorder from my track bike. It should be somewhat of an insurance in case something happen. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement