Fixed crack, wrapped exhaust, new paint and custom turn signals - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Fixed crack, wrapped exhaust, new paint and custom turn signals

So I just bought a 2008 250R last weekend. My wife was out of town and I didn't have too much going on at the time so I thought I would do all the work that was needed.

When I bought it the right fairing was cracked and both fairings had scractch marks. The exhaust had scrapes and a little bit of rust (mainly on the chrome exhaust gaurd). Since I was going to fix the crack on the fairing it would need to be painted and I really didn't like the original turn signals I used Audi A4 side markers on the front and Volvo side markers on the back.

The bike was originally all Kawasaki Green which would have been hard to match so I just decided to use flat black. But I didnt want an all black bike so I only painted the front wheel well, headlight housing and side fairings.

Here is what the bike would have looked like from the manufacturer:

here is what the bike would look like when I was done:

First I stripped the bike of most of the plastics. At the time I didn't have the turn signals that I wanted to use so I started with the front wheel well and headlight housing. I sanded then wet sanded the peices to get ride of any imperfections and to insure that there is uniformity between all the painted peices. I applied to coats of paint then I wet sanded, applied 2-3 more coats and put the peices on the bike

(first coat)

(second coat)

(first coat)

(second coat)

While I was waiting for each of the peices to dry between coats I took the exhast/header off and painted the exhaust with a flat black 1200 degree grill paint and wrapped the header.

Once I was done painting the front wheel well, headlight housing, and exhaust and the header was wrapped I had found the turn signals that I wanted. As I said earlier I used side markers from an Audi and a Volvo. I actually got the side markers for free from a local junk yard since my buddy was buying a set of tires. After I cut out the new whole for the side marker I had to use some bondo backed by aluminum to fill in the extra hole left by the original turn signal mount.

Once I finished fitting the turn signals, I soldered the new side markers to the original wiring harness and found that they were not blinking. I then added an electronic flasher to each side, mounted them under the driver seat and that problem was solved. Once I was done with this step I finished sanding the fairing, painted it and put it on the bike.

So finally here is what the bike looked like when I got it:

and here is what it looks like after less then a week of work:

The next step that I have yet to accomplish is adding the kawasaki green "ninja" logo back to the side fairings and tinting the headlight and windscreen with a green headlight tint as seen in the photoshopped image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:44 AM

damn. good job

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 03:42 PM

Killer job bro! It looks great! Thanks for the pics & tutorial!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

NP. glad to help.

I also wanted to post these pictures up real quick as I had too many pictures and was not able to apply them to the original post.

Here is a picture of the rear tail light inside the tail. If you do this be sure to watch the clearance of the frame. I was extremely lucky so mine cleared but it is touching so if I didnt put it EXACTLY where I did or farther back, It would have hit the frame.

And these are the flashers that I used. I originally put in cheap $3 thermal flashers but they take a long time to start blinking and they are slow so I replaced them with these $10 electronic flashers. They start right up and blink at a good rate. I used a 3 prong wiring harness (like the one pictured) for the flasher and pulled the excess wire out so it didnt interfeir with anything or add random wires.

Here are the pictures of the flashers mounted under the driver seat:

When I do the logo and tint I will be sure to take pictures.

Last edited by PepsiManKolt; 04-28-2011 at 05:08 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 PM

nice job looks cool

Im in it for the MPGs
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 AM

that black looks good, you should pull the tail and tank and paint to match

-Sean
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to oblivion007
nice job!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks ya'll. I actully intentionally didn't paint the tank and the tail. I wanted to have a little color on the bike. I am going to add a green "ninja" logo and tint the headlight and windscreen green to pull the green and black together. I would love to put a green rim on the back but I don't know how much it would cost or where to find one. And I don't want to put too much money into this bike as it is just a commuter.

I bought the bike (and accessories) for $2,300 and everything I got for it probably added up to about $100 or so. So I have spent less then $2,500 other then registration or insurance.

I actually posted it up for sale for $3,500 after all the work and I got a few offers for $3,300 but a few days ago when I was trying to move it in a wind storm it got blown against the house and re-cracked the right fairing. So now I gotta go back and fix that.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 01:45 PM

Any updates on this sweet bike?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 02:50 PM

Awesome job man. Love the bike and the 6 in the background. You and I must be the only ones with that color (atleast ive seen any other ones.) Where in jersey you from? Im from gloucester county.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement