Modifications - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Modifications

I am new here and am fixing to purchase a 2010 250r. I am already thinking about mods. As this is my first bike I was trying to understand what the significance of the different modifications was and how exactly they work?

Any info or links that might help explain this would be much appreciated.

thanks
D'Cypher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:52 PM

First of all welcome. I suggest you search and sift through the existing threads as modifications is a very broad subject. There is plenty of helpful info and knowledge in there. If you have more specific questions then please ask

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 08:32 PM

Congrats! - Tire Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Cypher2301 View Post
I am new here and am fixing to purchase a 2010 250r. I am already thinking about mods. As this is my first bike I was trying to understand what the significance of the different modifications was and how exactly they work?

Any info or links that might help explain this would be much appreciated.

thanks
D'Cypher
As mods go, no one mod will give you the most bang for your buck then new tires. Understandably to keep the msrp down, the stock rubber is the cheapest available so getting better rubber is almost a must, especially for beginners. I have Michelin Pilot Road-2 160/60/17 rear and 110/70/17 front. Yes 160s on the rear and with no mods what so ever. As long as you stay with 60s for the profile, you will be fine. All I had to do was move the chain guard back half an inch but that was it for mods. No loss in performance of any note but being such a light bike, I get much better acceleration/deceleration traction, shorter stopping, and stability at higher speeds. 40 mph feels like 20, 60 feels like 40, 80 feels like 60. Remember, 0 to 60 is optional but 60 to 0 is mandatory. New rubber was the best money spent, seriously. I will post pix when I get a chance. Welcome to the brotherhood dude, and ride fun and safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:26 AM

^ What rubber came on your bike? IRC roadwinner? Bridgestone BT45? I haven't heard good things about the IRC; however, the BT45 is a decent tire and very suitable for new riders.

-To the newbies thinking about "cool looking" over sized tires please be aware of what is going on. The ex250 has a 3.5" rim. The 160/60 was made for a 4.25" rim. The tire must be "pinched" onto the smaller rim contorting the tire shape from which it was designed. "Pinching" a tire on to a smaller rim is a hazard and does void warranties.
-Performance is affected. Turn in is affected in 2 ways. By the larger tire size and the lengthening of the wheelbase. The larger tire also adds additional unsprung mass.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement