Re-jetting a 08 ninja with a stage 3 from 07 ninja? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Re-jetting a 08 ninja with a stage 3 from 07 ninja?

Ok, so i went to the dynojet.com website and looked at some of those kits...as im planning to prep my bike for the riding season next year, lol. Anyway, they have a STAGE 3 for the 2007 ninja 250, and only a stage 2 for the 2008 ninja 250. While reading many posts, most guys actually went with the 100 jet cuz thats the biggest one in the set for a 08-09 ninja, but....what if you used the kit for the older ninja..where they have a jet that goes as high as 114! Anyone thought about that, or perhaps tried it?? I have never rejetted anything, so im clueless of what the hell is going on, but i guess the bigger the number the more fuel goes into the engine producing richer mixture for more power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 02:50 PM

Not exactly. What mods do you have planned? If your putting on a full system exhaust and thats it a stage 2 is more than adequate. You'd probably only need a dj size 96 if your not and a 98 or 100 if you do add a full system. Now if your adding a pod filter then you would need a 110 minimum. Theoretically a jet kit from the 2007 would fit a 2008 carb. They both run cvk30 carbs from keihin. The difference is the ignition system. This could mean that the jet needle from the 07 is different from the 08 model I would need to measure the needles to see if they are the same but I don't have an 07 needle to check.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:20 AM

From the factory these bikes are VERY lean off idle. That is why they are so cold blooded. And need a lot of choke in winter.

The biggest problem is the pilot jets .They don't come with the jet kits. From my experience a #40 to replace the #38 will make a big difference.

As for main jets. 108 with a slip on and 110 with a full system and pods. Seems to be popular .More with an upgraded ignition system.

You can buy single jets from Jets Re us.they are great and ship quick. http://www.jetsrus.com/

Last edited by Racer X; 06-19-2010 at 03:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 AM

So even with a stock Ninja 250 I should change my jets? And would a 100 main jet work fine with a stock exhaust and an aftermarket one? I'm not sure which one I'm going to get yet.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 05:37 PM

I've noticed that most (if not all) bikes with carbs were jetted lean from the factory. Some more than others, but I'm assuming this is because of emissions. The Ninja 250 jets are lean from the factory, so I would think that upping the main jet to 100 would help it from being cold-blooded in the morning and help with acceleration.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 AM

That's so weird to me that Kawasaki would still choose carburetors for the Ninja 250. Cars have had fuel injection since forever ago and pretty much every bike has it too.

But at any rate, are installing ninja 250 jets a pretty simple thing to do? What's involved?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250guy View Post
That's so weird to me that Kawasaki would still choose carburetors for the Ninja 250. Cars have had fuel injection since forever ago and pretty much every bike has it too.

But at any rate, are installing ninja 250 jets a pretty simple thing to do? What's involved?
Actually, the ninja 250's in europe have fuel injection. We're the only ones that didn't get it. Probably a cost issue. But still, a little upsetting.

nonetheless, playing with carbs is becoming a lost art. Ninja 250 jets are relatively simple things to change. Depending on your mechanical ability, of course...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowestmotion View Post
Actually, the ninja 250's in europe have fuel injection. We're the only ones that didn't get it. Probably a cost issue. But still, a little upsetting.

nonetheless, playing with carbs is becoming a lost art. Ninja 250 jets are relatively simple things to change. Depending on your mechanical ability, of course...
What? Why do they get fuel injection on their ninja 250s and we don't? Is the cost really a factor? Well maybe if someone is determined to have fuel injection on their American ninja 250, they can find the set on ebay and try and install it.

And I'd say my mechanical ability is pretty basic. With a good, detailed set of instructions, I could probably figure out the jets on my 250r.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 AM

I would think when Kawasaki was designing a beginner bike like the Ninja 250, they were also thinking about their audience: poor college kids. Any extra dollar that could be saved was worth doing and so our Ninja's got carbs. That's a good point about converting a US ninja 250 to fuel injection. I'd imagine it wouldn't be terribly difficult. Might have to fuss with the electronics of the ECU and what not though.

It's really not worth it. Just look up how to adjust your carbs online. There are plenty of good links.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:21 AM

How much more expensive could it possibly be to sell a Ninja 250 with fuel injection? Can't be that bad.

Then again, I'm not going to attempt any kind of FI conversion. I'll work with the carbs I was given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement