M-80 slip on exhaust???? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

M-80 slip on exhaust????

im in the market for a nice and well cheaper slip on or full exhaust. Yesterday i came across something like the Maico MFG M-80 slip on....which doesnt really remind me of an exhaust but for the price might be ok??? Have any of you heard anything about this...performance wise...good or bad, worth a try or a waste of money?
They do have a website, but im really more interested in personal opinion.

Site is www.maicomfg.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 AM

I'm not sure about this one. It looks kinda cheesedick to me.
Do they even have a dyno chart?

This is a dyno chart from D&D. I would feel a lot more confident if there was a M-80 dyno chart personally. How much did you find the exhaust for?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

i've seen it couple places, recently on ebay going for like 98 bux! Looks like a cheesedick, i agree. No dyno chart anywhere, so i dono how it really performs. Might be good since its short and all, but does it have the right amount of backpressure needed....i dono.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 05:00 PM

If it is 98 bucks, and does not ruin the exhaust system, I say try it and write us a review.
I have touched on this subject before. Exhaust is NOT about back pressure. Back pressure is a detriment on 4 cycle engines. Exhaust is about scavenging.

Think about your exhaust system as a siphon. We all know how a siphon works. You can move fluids from one container to another, provided that the receiving container is lower. Once the fluid starts moving, the vacuum created by the descending fluid pulls the fluid out of the container. This process continues until the upper container is empty.
So... the best way to show you how this works is with very confusing text based diagrams!

------__________________________________________________ __
|
^exhaust port ^exhaust pipe^

Exhaust port opens:

::::::::::::::::::>
^High pressure gas ^Ambient pressure
The exhaust races out of the engine. The pressure is high right against the head. The pressure down the pipe remains at ambient pressure.

Exhaust port closes
| >:::::::::::::::>
^Low pressure ^High pressure ^Ambient pressure
As the exhaust charge gets down the pipe, it creates a low pressure (lower than ambient pressure) area by the exhaust valve/port.

Exhaust port opens again

:::::::::> LOW PRESSURE (VACUUM) >:::::::::::::::::::>
------__________________________________________________ _
^High Pressure ^Low pressure ^High Pressure
The vacuum created by the previous charge sucks the next charge out of the cylinder.

If the pipe is the incorrect length:

------_____________________________
:::::::::> >:::::::::::::::::::::>
------_____________________________
^High pressure ^Ambient pressure ^Already out of the pipe.
There is no vacuum created. The fresh charge of exhaust must push its way through the exhaust pipe.

Now in all fairness, the length of the exhaust pipe will affect the engine at different RPMs. I don't know that this $100 slip-on won't raise engine output, but I would be careful.
Like I was saying earlier, I would go for it if I did not have to hack my exhaust system. If you do it, be sure to let us know how it works.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 PM

A little off topic but Kenny I'm quite impressed with your usage of the word cheesedick and your text based diagrams...nice work! And pretty informative too
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 02:25 PM

Hey kenny or whatever your name is, thats a whole bunch of bench racing babble you bafoon. your scavenging crap might impress people who dont know what your talking about but it would seem to me that any blockage in the system like a converter or the stock muffler shoots your theory out of the water, scavenging only pertains to the headers and once the exhaust passes the crossover pipe scavenging gets canceled out the piston is always PUSHING on the exhaust stroke enery time thats the way it is and FYI we have close to 25 miles of dyno pulls on one of our shop bikes and compairing an exhaust as a siphon? and those diagrams? Dude we dont want to burst your bubble the people we do biz with could care less about people like you who have nothing better to do then bad mouth people who you know nothing about, we have been building bike motors long before there was any such thing as a blog so thats my two cents and Krzysiopl if you see this shoot us an email through our site and we will gladly send you one of our M-80s to check out and send us some pics of your ride!!! Let us know what color you want. Hey sexyNpink if you have a mini ninja give us a shout out and well get an M-80 out to you too. Send us pics and stories of your little ninjas we are starting a monthly feature section soon and we are looking for articals on readers rides it should be cool. We just like the way these little pipes clean up the back of these sweet little bikes. Soory if we stressed out all you haters out there we are just having fun dont be creul, by the way how does any body figure our bikes are slow they pull the front wheel in third? RIDE WIDE MAICO MARC
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:48 PM

I am sorry that you disagree with my post. (my name is Kenny, by the way, no alias) I was just merely stating that exhaust is a complicated subject and that a dyno chart would be nice. At time of post, I could not find a dyno chart ("FYI we have close to 25 miles of dyno pulls on one of our shop bikes") on the website. As of this post, there is still no dyno chart on the website. (if there is one, please post a link).

I understand that these exhuast systems are your livelyhood,(this is your first post to our forum too, I am glad it was such a well written, plesant one, welcome!) but the proof is in the pudding. Lets have a dyno chart.

I, as an ASE certified technician (I will PM my credentials if necessary, what are your professional credentials?) in advanced engine performance, understand the importance in exhaust scavenging (which DOES apply to the entire exhaust system, especially on a motorcycle), and I understand that short does not necessarly mean bad, but once again, lets see a dyno chart. After all, you have run 25 miles on your dyno, I am sure you have specs on this stuff. I have not rewritten the laws of exhaust back pressure, all of this stuff is widely documented. (granted, my diagrams were not the best)

One last note, please reply to my wheelie thread, if you are getting wheelies("by the way how does any body figure our bikes are slow they pull the front wheel in third") in third gear. If not, I will ask you at the SEMA show next week. ("the people we do biz") You will be there right?!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
I am sorry that you disagree with my post. (my name is Kenny, by the way, no alias) I was just merely stating that exhaust is a complicated subject and that a dyno chart would be nice. At time of post, I could not find a dyno chart ("FYI we have close to 25 miles of dyno pulls on one of our shop bikes") on the website. As of this post, there is still no dyno chart on the website. (if there is one, please post a link).

I understand that these exhuast systems are your livelyhood,(this is your first post to our forum too, I am glad it was such a well written, plesant one, welcome!) but the proof is in the pudding. Lets have a dyno chart.

I, as an ASE certified technician (I will PM my credentials if necessary, what are your professional credentials?) in advanced engine performance, understand the importance in exhaust scavenging (which DOES apply to the entire exhaust system, especially on a motorcycle), and I understand that short does not necessarly mean bad, but once again, lets see a dyno chart. After all, you have run 25 miles on your dyno, I am sure you have specs on this stuff. I have not rewritten the laws of exhaust back pressure, all of this stuff is widely documented. (granted, my diagrams were not the best)

One last note, please reply to my wheelie thread, if you are getting wheelies("by the way how does any body figure our bikes are slow they pull the front wheel in third") in third gear. If not, I will ask you at the SEMA show next week. ("the people we do biz") You will be there right?!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaicoMarc View Post
Hey kenny or whatever your name is, thats a whole bunch of bench racing babble you bafoon. your scavenging crap might impress people who dont know what your talking about but it would seem to me that any blockage in the system like a converter or the stock muffler shoots your theory out of the water, scavenging only pertains to the headers and once the exhaust passes the crossover pipe scavenging gets canceled out the piston is always PUSHING on the exhaust stroke enery time thats the way it is and FYI we have close to 25 miles of dyno pulls on one of our shop bikes and compairing an exhaust as a siphon? and those diagrams? Dude we dont want to burst your bubble the people we do biz with could care less about people like you who have nothing better to do then bad mouth people who you know nothing about, we have been building bike motors long before there was any such thing as a blog so thats my two cents and Krzysiopl if you see this shoot us an email through our site and we will gladly send you one of our M-80s to check out and send us some pics of your ride!!! Let us know what color you want. Hey sexyNpink if you have a mini ninja give us a shout out and well get an M-80 out to you too. Send us pics and stories of your little ninjas we are starting a monthly feature section soon and we are looking for articals on readers rides it should be cool. We just like the way these little pipes clean up the back of these sweet little bikes. Soory if we stressed out all you haters out there we are just having fun dont be creul, by the way how does any body figure our bikes are slow they pull the front wheel in third? RIDE WIDE MAICO MARC
Ay caramba! Chillax homie. I wouldn't even want to do business with you even if it was free.

Time to start acting a little more professional, buddy.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 PM

I normally don't reply to posts like MaicoMarc's, and I probably shouldn't have. I was just genuinely pissed off by the personal attacks included in his post. If he didn't agree with my post, thats cool, but a "bafoon"?! By the looks of it, he signed up just to post his thoughts about me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement