Pre 2000 EX250's - Clean up the rear - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Pre 2000 EX250's - Clean up the rear

On the older EX250's, you can chop the rear fender off (leave the undertail part to hold all the wires and stuff up there) and move the blinkers (the bulbs) into the smaller red squares on either side of the tail light.

Then get 2 L brackets from home depot to mount the license plate. The rear fairing of the bike should have 2 bolts right underneath that the brackets can mount to.

Some states require the license plate be lit at all times (specifically at night)... the 250's rear tail light has a small rectangle panel on the bottom of it that can be popped out. If your bike is older, this will be a chore so I'd just take a dremel to it. Once the panel is out, cover the hole with some clear plastic, or go ghetto and just use some clear packing tape.

You can see the end result (sort of) in the below pictures. The 250 pictured is a 1996.

I don't know if this mod works on the 00+ 250's, I know it wasn't easy to do on the '03 so we left it alone.

UPDATE 9.3.08 - I found out recently that doing this modification is technically illegal. It's illegal because:
Quote:
US Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Part 571, Standard 108 states that turn signals must be amber or red and must be at least 9" apart, center-to-center. If signals are red, their edges must be at least 4" away from the edge of the tail light.
So if you're going to do this mod, find some replacement amber (or clear if you're going to use amber bulbs) covers for those lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4999.jpg (70.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg ninja.jpg (36.8 KB, 50 views)

https://www.250r.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1217136591

If you feel like you've outgrown your 250, you've probably outgrown your helmet too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 03:35 AM

What makes this more difficult on the newer models...?

I haven't tried any of these type of mods on any of my bikes which are all post 2000 models but the tail light looks the same to me as the earlier models...?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

The newer models (at least the '03) have a different housing for the stock blinkers, to get the wiring out we would have had to cut open the blinkers whereas on the older models (at least my '96), the wires could be disconnected inside the blinker housing. Cutting the wire on the newer model ('03) would have made it uncomfortably short.

If you feel like you've outgrown your 250, you've probably outgrown your helmet too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:35 AM

hmmm. I should give it try even though I have an 04 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMoe View Post
On the older EX250's, you can chop the rear fender off (leave the undertail part to hold all the wires and stuff up there) and move the blinkers (the bulbs) into the smaller red squares on either side of the tail light.

Then get 2 L brackets from home depot to mount the license plate. The rear fairing of the bike should have 2 bolts right underneath that the brackets can mount to.

Some states require the license plate be lit at all times (specifically at night)... the 250's rear tail light has a small rectangle panel on the bottom of it that can be popped out. If your bike is older, this will be a chore so I'd just take a dremel to it. Once the panel is out, cover the hole with some clear plastic, or go ghetto and just use some clear packing tape.

You can see the end result (sort of) in the below pictures. The 250 pictured is a 1996.

I don't know if this mod works on the 00+ 250's, I know it wasn't easy to do on the '03 so we left it alone.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

I would avoid chopping anything until you're sure the bulbs will fit in the housing holes on either side of the tail light. Once you confirm that, chop away.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 01:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to BP88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMoe View Post
I would avoid chopping anything until you're sure the bulbs will fit in the housing holes on either side of the tail light. Once you confirm that, chop away.
My buddy suggested I use bigger bulb sockets on my '07 in order to get the signals to fit in the housings. We went to Kragen and got some rubber sockets which we JB welded a little to get them to stay in the housings. They had bigger ones that would have just stuck in the housings but we didn't know how it would fit until we got back to try it out. 5 bucks and a few minutes of wiring later - we got it to work and look great.

edit - It's very similar to this type of socket. I guess they're called rubber "push-in" sockets. The fatter portions of the socket are supposed to sandwich the housing hole in order to lock into position. The picture makes it self-explanatory.

If the socket is too small, you can always use some adhesive on the fattest part of the socket that contacts the housing (I used a little JB Kwik since it's cheap and works on almost anything) or if it's too big you just trim a portion of it and pop it in at an angle. It's really simple guys - just takes a bit of work. Good luck!

Last edited by BP88; 07-26-2008 at 02:30 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 PM

Can you explain the entire process, I want to do this to my 94 ninja
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:12 AM

^ It looks like the entire process is explained pretty well in the OP. I doubt your going to get anything any better since this thread is from JULY OF '08!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 12:34 PM

Haha I figured it out thanks for the reply tho!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 PM

pics!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement