New rider customizations/protection - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

New rider customizations/protection

Hello! New rider here, actually just got my permit today and bought a 2009 Ninja with 600 miles on it. I am very hesitant to learn on this bike because it is like-new condition, but I was wondering if there is anything more than frame sliders I can get to help protect my bike better? Found an awesome stunt cage (google impateck) but that is way out of my budget. Any ideas for better, low speed tipping damage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:11 PM

Don't drop it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 PM
tek

You could remove the original fairings and install cheap rashed up fairings from craigslist, eBay or a local wrecking yard until your skills improve. That's honestly the only low budget idea that comes to mind besides bar ends, sliders, etc.

Last edited by tek; 05-06-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Thank you!

Thank you Tek for the real suggestion, and to the guy above, thank you for your sarcastic response. Kind of hard when you're 130 pounds,5 foot 3 not to drop a 400 pound bike. Don't respond next time.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 AM

I would even go as far as just taking off the fairings and buying a used cage. But if that's still not an option for you just practice first balancing the bike and just letting out the clutch in first with very minimal throttle just enough to stop from stalling the engine and once you feel extremely comfortable practice take offs. I guess what in saying is practice in steps and take it very slow to be careful.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 AM

I highly recommend taking the MSF course especially if you're afraid you might drop the bike. I just completed my MSF course Sunday and I'm going to get my actual license today. I had zero experience on a motorcycle as of 2 weeks ago and I only had my permit for 4 days before I started the class and I aced the test in the end. They literally teach you every little thing possible and if you are mentally handicapped or something you'd still learn something. Plus on a more positive side, if you drop the bike there while you're learning... Its not your bike LMFAO

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:40 AM

Yeah, the MSF course will be a great help. Don't feel bad if you drop it, we've all done it. When you drop a 250, the damage usually occurs to the mirrors, levers and fairings, and the exhaust if it's that side, but it'll be only a few scratches.

My problem was having my foot slip on something at a stop, or when backing into my garage.

Frame sliders will protect your plastic in low-speed drops. You might also consider handlebar crash guards, like Barkbusters (but they may not be worth the expense, because levers cost about $15, while the lever guards cost more than $100).

Good luck with the new bike!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help! I had planned on taking the driving course as soon as I graduate college (Saturday!), but my best friend who has an R1 was really excited to teach me Friday and he is pushing me to try first! I will definitely take the beginner course first, it is 14.5 hours believe with a test at the end. Thanks again!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 04:44 PM

Yeah mine was only 16 hours. It gave me my license without having to take the dmv test. And gave me a 15% discount on my insurance (which is now $150 a year!) Pretty good for a 22yr old whose only had his license for 2 days!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltizzle View Post
Yeah mine was only 16 hours. It gave me my license without having to take the dmv test. And gave me a 15% discount on my insurance (which is now $150 a year!) Pretty good for a 22yr old whose only had his license for 2 days!

Good to know! I'm 22 also and was wondering how much insurance would run me when I finally got my license! I'm registered for the 16th to start the training, I think in Minnesota though you still have to take the test itself through the DMV after the course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement