Pregen extreme diet - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Pregen extreme diet

I was tired of the dated appearance of my '06, and also thought it carried a lot of unnecessary weight - turns out I was right. I was able to shave 27 lbs by removing the bodywork and trimming unused frame tabs and brackets. Here it is now. I'll probably trim the front fender, too. I retained the bungee point lugs because I might add a rack at some point.

With clipons:

Last edited by Chicagobob; 04-08-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 07:51 PM

Well done. Personally, I like the look of the pre-gen, but still appreciate the effort and creativity of owners turning their 250's into streetfighters/cafe-racers

I especially like how you trimmed down the side fairings. Very creative I must say, and the cut looks really clean as well.

the one thing about 250 streetfighter builds that I don't like is due to the gas tank mounting holes. Obviously, not much anybody can do about them though. Again, great job

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 08:09 PM

It looks pretty nice...I would probably trim the rear cowlings just around the frame so it's not just exposed, but that's just me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomtzjr View Post
It looks pretty nice...I would probably trim the rear cowlings just around the frame so it's not just exposed, but that's just me...
I thought about that too, but that's very hard to do. It'd be easier if the side fairings were all one complete fairing, but the bike has two side fairings and one rear fairing

the rear one is what gets in the way for cutting around the frame. It's not really possible. It'd be cool if someone out there could create a mold to accomplish what you're talking about

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Last edited by tadster00; 11-01-2012 at 05:45 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 03:36 AM

Looks great I like the look. The exposed frame is cool.

Worlds fastest 250 ninja. 123.369 mph
www.darkhorseracing9623.com
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 06:48 PM

thats sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so retro/cafe /naked i like it , i like it alot , well done my friend!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 PM

Its frame is looking very pretty.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. We recently decided to remove the seat latch mechanism and its frame tabs, which gave it a cleaner look and reduced the weight by another 1.5 lbs.

Here's the bike now, with the seat latch gone and the turn signals and helmet lock moved further back on the frame. Note that we also trimmed the front fender and a little more off the side covers.

Here's the new "fender," made of sheet aluminum. Note hole for seat bolt.

The seat is held down by this brass bolt, with a wing nut under the rear fender

Last edited by Chicagobob; 01-29-2013 at 10:27 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 PM

Pregen extreme diet

awesome build so far. this and a 250 from a local forum have spurred me to start looking for one to turn into a cafe project. I'd be interested to see more about how you mounted the tail light, also what kind of tail light it is.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. It's a $12 eBay LED taillight, which I chose because it was cheap, small, shaped to fit with the bike's styling, and lightweight. It's brighter and less weight than the Lucas-type knockoffs you get from cafe racer suppliers.

I've used these on other bikes, but the manufacturing quality is iffy (probably soldered together on a Chinese sidewalk after dinner). You sometimes have to take them apart and re-solder a wire or two, and the mounting bolts are fragile. If you get a good one, it will work fine. I also have an FZ6 taillight that I've narrowed to fit under there.

I mounted the light on a piece of sheet aluminum that I had cut and bent to fit onto the frame tubes behind the crossmember. I can't remember the gauge, but it's thick enough that I had to bend it in a vise. Any thinner, and the light and license plate would wobble. This acts as a mudguard. It keeps the bottom of the seat dry and also holds the license plate. The plate is painted black and bolted to the frame tubes:

Here's a before and after view:

Good luck with your project. You really can't go wrong with a $1,500, seven-year-old bike.

Last edited by Chicagobob; 03-13-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement