2012 Stock Gearing? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

2012 Stock Gearing?

I bought a new 2012 250r. Riding it home, I noticed shifting into 6th relatively quickly and at 30 mph it was turning 4,500 rpm's in 6th? I took it to 9,000 rpm's and that was 60 mph IN 6TH GEAR, then I slowed back down??? It's brand new, has 17 miles on it with no modifications? I insured I was in 6th gear (this is my 20th motorcycle in the last 43 years). Any ideas? Also the fuel gauge is totally inop. I filled the tank and it still reads empty. I suppose because it's new that a wire is disconnected. I can take it back to the dealer, but if any of you know a simple thing to look at I'll do that first. There appears to be a wire bundle coming out from under the instrument panel, nothing seems out of the ordinary, maybe there's a disconnected wire under the tank? Anybody ever have this problem? Thanks in advance! I've always wanted one of these and am glad I bought it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 03:47 AM

The gearing is really short, that's the one thing I don't like. As zfar as the gas tank I got no clue mine worked from day 1.

Started riding on 3/27/2012
Currently own Kawi 250R 2012
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 06:20 AM

The fuel gauge has a simple plug under the tank. it's a green wire that plug into a connector. You can remove a side panel to see it. That is usually the culprit.

Stock gears are very short which makes for high RPMS and gearing almost useless. You should change out the front sprocket to a 15th. Makes for much better use of the gears, engine torque and give a little higher top end speed. Will not void any warranty. Also see this thread-https://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1410
Sponsored Links
Advertisement