Kawasaki ZX Ignition Coil Pack modification. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Kawasaki ZX Ignition Coil Pack modification.

I've decided to do the coil over plug modification on SERENITY, so first step was to purchase the coils.

After looking on eBay I found a set for 00-02 Kawasaki ZX6R ZX6 05-08 ZZR600 Engine Motor Ignition Coil Packs w/ Harness, for a total cost of $30.00. Must have the harness which is needed to adapt the Ninjette wiring to the coils. It's important to get the harness, because the coil connectors are different.

Next step was to unwrap the coil harness, so I could cut the OEM connectors from the harness.

Cut at the OEM splice points, which there are two.

OEM connectors ready for modification.

Wiring is easy just connect the red to the red wires, and the other wires to each other.

SIDENOTE: temporarily I've put male blade ends on the coil over connectors, so to just plug them into the existing wiring on the Ninjette. I did this while I'm testing these out, if something goes wrong I can easily plug the old ones up. Once I'm confident in them I will splice and solder them permanently, and removing the OEM coils

After that it's just as simple as installing the coil overs like you would the regular plug caps.

Removed the OEM coils

Final verdict: no real noticeable difference between the OEM Vs ZX coils. The advantages are eliminating the plug wires, and the spark plug caps, which need to cleaned, less to go wrong hopefully. After testing, I decided to remove the OEM coils, and brackets, which by the way they were spot welded on.

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
TECHNICAL UPDATE:

It has been pointed out that one might want to increase the spark plug gap, to match the gap that these coil over plugs,

Quote:
07-08 Zx6 Spark Plug Gap: 0.7 ∼ 0.8 mm (0.028 ∼ 0.031 in.)
To take advantage of the higher output of said coils, and better spark.

I will of course try this, and report back, but if you do this modification you can do the same.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.

Last edited by Ghostt; 08-30-2015 at 08:13 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update:

Some concerns about supporting the CoPs has come up, so I decided to look into this.

The fix is simple, remove the rubber tops from the OEM plug caps, and install them on the CoPs. You will need to remove the small rubber ring on the top of the CoPs, and slide the OEM rubber on, after that your all set.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
....Final verdict: no real noticeable difference between the OEM Vs ZX coils. The advantages are eliminating the plug wires, and the spark plug caps, which need to cleaned, less to go wrong hopefully. After testing, I decided to remove the OEM coils, and brackets, which by the way they were spot welded on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
....TECHNICAL UPDATE:

It has been pointed out that one might want to increase the spark plug gap, to match the gap that these coil over plugs,

To take advantage of the higher output of said coils, and better spark.

The key is get a better sparking plug too for overall performance.

https://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2530

https://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2538

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...00&postcount=9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement