What mod do you think is best? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

What mod do you think is best?

So I have a 2011 ninja 250R. I am in the market for some new mods. I have already blacked it out and added an exhaust and air filter. There are two other mods I wish to do, they are clip-ons, preload adjusters and new grips. The other mod is a Koso RX-2 gauge. Do to the lack of funds I can only do one of these mods right now.
The real question is what one do you guys feel I would benefit more from? Not having a clock right now sucks so the gauge would help with that. As for the clip-ons I have heard good and bad things about them. Woodcraft is the only ones I would run and they seem to fit from what I heard. But I don't want to run into problems with them rubbing the body.
Please just let me know what you all think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike.jpg (124.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg image (1).jpg (131.3 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:54 PM

Garage
Question, what do you use the bike for, commuting? Touring? Playing on the streets? Track days??

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 PM

Garage
Here's a link to my 98 rebuild, I use my bike for mostly transportation, touring and sometimes twisties. I had to balance all those worlds, but I'm happy with the final results

Album link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1006527...IDXyZXyoe2m0QE

--
via http://bit.ly/picasa_tool

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.

Last edited by Ghostt; 09-05-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Question, what do you use the bike for, commuting? Touring? Playing on the streets? Track days??
I see it mostly for long rides in the twisties and I use it to get back and forth to work. its for work but also for pleasure.

Last edited by black250r; 09-05-2014 at 09:40 PM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 10:34 PM

Garage
Okay, so your looking for comfort, then forget the clip ons, and don't bother with the preloads, which would both be ok for track, you can set the forks up with out the reloads, for sag and dampening effect for cheap. Setting up the suspension is a easy, and one time thing, once it's set up properly, you never have to mess with it again.

Have you done anything to the carburetors?

Some no cut frame sliders maybe?

Is there anything you don't particularly care for on the bike? Riding position, ergonomics? Grips? Seat? Etc....... Lights?

The bike looks really sharp, nice and clean, love the blacked out look

Here are some before and after of mine.

Modifications included cut and shim front springs, change fork oil, replace rear shock with one from a zx600c, changed shock oil, change gears +1/-1, tune carbs, adjust idle mixture, K&N filter, brake pads EBC extreme HH, wave front rotor, modify OEM seat, extra heavy bar ends, heated grips and seat, touring windscreen, shorter risers(ZX600c), lower bars about 1 1/2", Bridgestone BT-45s, stainless steel allen head hardware, stainless steel braided brake lines, shortly levers, HD clutch springs, voltage indicator, LED clock, HID headlight, replace all other builds with CREE LEDs, clear lens for turn signals, and flush mount fronts, brake light modulator.

All this and full maintenance and rebuild everything else except the motor. I'm sure I'm forget some stuff, but you get the idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1409984933216.jpg (124.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1409984961606.jpg (111.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1409985033349.jpg (146.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1409985086834.jpg (136.1 KB, 12 views)

ZX-2R Photo gallery

Last edited by Ghostt; 09-05-2014 at 10:53 PM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Well yes it is fun to drive as it is right now. I don't like the bar position but like you said "Thats for the track". I don't really need track stuff. Frame sliders and gearing are a maybe. What would you say would be the best gearing? It seems that first gear is really short. I would like to just have better acceleration. Do you think that a new gauge would be money well spent? I mean I look at mine now and think "This thing is crap". Plus I feel like its a toy with the gauge it has now. I mean I look at that gauge maybe 100 times a day why not make it pleasing to the eye. I think Koso is the only plug and play one and I can install that myself. Do you know any other ones on the market like that one? The RX-2 is pretty sharp!
You have done a lot of work on that bike you have. I have always thought of getting a junked 600 and fixing it up. It would be fun. I like what you have done.
Well thanks for the feed back and I hope to hear more.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 12:07 AM

Garage
Well as far as bar position goes, that's totally an individual thing, some want more height, others don't, some like OEM. I did a quick eBay search and came up with these two

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...437558&alt=web

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...153314&alt=web

Gearing is another one of those things, some like a short gear, some tall, being that most of my riding is just cruising around, I went short, I dropped my RPMs at HWY speeds about 1k, I did lose a little bit of acceleration, but hardly noticeable to me anyway, I can still almost pick the front wheel up shifting to 3rd. If your going to play with the gears, I recommend changing the front sprocket, for 2 reasons, 1 they are cheaper than the rear cost wise, 2 it's a lot easier to change than the rear, and get steel sprockets, forget the aluminum ones.

Gauges, totally your call on that one, I just glance down at mine once in awhile, but I did do some carbon fiber wrap so they look better I think.

Customizing preference is up to the individual, that what makes it so cool, hey it's your bike, your money, he'll if you wanted to paint pink dots on it LOL.

Some things like suspension tuning, engine tuning is gonna be lets face it boring, time consuming, and nobody see it, it you will feel the difference.

I recommend start with the easy stuff, it's offensive the cheapest too, and see where it takes you. I'm also added something to mine, so it's a work in progress, with really no ending, and I like it that way. I have a 500 as well that I did the same thing too, had it for 7 years now, and still messing with something on it.

The only thing that holds you back is the money, unfortunately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1409990626224.jpg (77.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1409990662661.jpg (74.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 1409990683157.jpg (47.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 1409990715962.jpg (52.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1409990806021.jpg (21.4 KB, 8 views)

ZX-2R Photo gallery

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 12:30 AM

Garage
BTW that OEM taillight has to go, your bike screams smoke lens LEDs

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...031103&alt=web

ZX-2R Photo gallery

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 05:38 AM

Good pics of a nice clean bike with tasteful mods! I have Shogun frame sliders which I like and give me a little peace of mind. As far as the clip ons go I would wait. Especially if you use it for long rides and work. Sounds like you'll be changing the ergonomics if you add these and it may not be as comfortable? Yes the stock guage pod is lacking! A clock and temp guage would have been wonderful. The clock would be nice for work days etc. I would go with that for now.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleSE View Post
Good pics of a nice clean bike with tasteful mods! I have Shogun frame sliders which I like and give me a little peace of mind. As far as the clip ons go I would wait. Especially if you use it for long rides and work. Sounds like you'll be changing the ergonomics if you add these and it may not be as comfortable? Yes the stock guage pod is lacking! A clock and temp guage would have been wonderful. The clock would be nice for work days etc. I would go with that for now.
You know I was thinking about it again last night. I might just hold off on anymore mods. I mean I have had it this long, they can wait. I think maybe Ill get a GoPro or a Ion Air Pro. No since in riding a cool bike if you can't share your adventures. I mean If the money is there Ill get the gauge in a heart beat. But you are right on the clip-ons they may not be the best. If anyone is selling a KOSO RX-2 kit for the 2011 ninja 250R for cheap maybe ill bite.
Thanks all and maybe you guys can give me a little feed back on the Ion Air Pro camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement