ZX shorty pipe on a 250. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

ZX shorty pipe on a 250.

Hi, grabbed a 250r 2009 as my first bike a while ago. I love the bike but It's missing the loud noises that come with street bikes I plan on keeping this bike to learn how to race on a track so I want to install a shorty pipe as seen on lots of zx10's and zx6's. I haven't seen any for the 250r, I'm guessing it's because it's a 2 stroke carb engine. My question is, can I safely run a shorty pipe made for a zx10r on my 250r after I re jet it to accommodate the air flow/less back pressure?
This is the pipe I'm talking about.
http://m.ebay.ca/itm?itemId=190580093656
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 10:42 PM

As far as I understand, and I may be wrong, but you can have whatever exhaust you want as long as the carbs are jetted, tuned, and synced correctly. Of course, installing that will require some...a lot of fabricating and welding to get it to fit on the headers and mount it somewhere other than the original mounts under the passenger pegs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadster00 View Post
As far as I understand, and I may be wrong, but you can have whatever exhaust you want as long as the carbs are jetted, tuned, and synced correctly. Of course, installing that will require some...a lot of fabricating and welding to get it to fit on the headers and mount it somewhere other than the original mounts under the passenger pegs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks for the reply, I don't understand why it would require a lot of modification. I'll just get a coupler to fit the bikes pipe after I remove the stock exhaust and have it fit this one. I don't plan on using the stock hanger for this as it's really light and doesn't need it. Just some sort of clamp to hold it on to the headers.
I went ahead and purchased it, I'll let you know how it works out.
Edit: does anyone know the size of the headers inside or outside diameter right where you remove the exhaust.

Last edited by Gurvir44; 07-23-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvir44 View Post
.....My question is, can I safely run a shorty pipe made for a zx10r on my 250r after I re jet it to accommodate the air flow/less back pressure?

The short answer is no. The pipe you want is designed for a 4 into 1 or bigger 2 into 1 exhaust with much higher output. The sound you will get is real raspy, crackly and hollow and not deep and rumbly as you expect. Some folks like the sound, but the performance of it falls short. Not the exhaust you want or need for the track.

The only Ninja 250 I know of personally, that runs straight pipes successfully also sets land speed records. https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-S...jpg?imgmax=912

The Ninja 250 is a 4 stroke and needs a little restriction or baffling to work properly, even with proper jetting. To run a straight pipe on the Ninja 250 you really need a bit more modification than just jetting and a pipe. Intake filter changes are necessary as well if your bike is stock. You should include tuning on a dyno to get it dialed in correctly if you want to get the best performance.

Exhaust pipes from other bikes have been modded onto the Ninja 250, however the mufflers were included. The stock 08-10 head pipe ID is 1". The outlets are 1 1/2". The exhaust pipe you're looking to buy has a 2" O.D., so a mid pipe will be needed.

If this is your first bike, you may want to start with some simple tips to help your bike's performance. Try not to get hung up on sound too much, it's not a real performance enhancer for most real racing applications.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
The short answer is no. The pipe you want is designed for a 4 into 1 or bigger 2 into 1 exhaust with much higher output. The sound you will get is real raspy, crackly and hollow and not deep and rumbly as you expect. Some folks like the sound, but the performance of it falls short. Not the exhaust you want or need for the track.

The only Ninja 250 I know of personally, that runs straight pipes successfully also sets land speed records. https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-S...jpg?imgmax=912

The Ninja 250 is a 4 stroke and needs a little restriction or baffling to work properly, even with proper jetting. To run a straight pipe on the Ninja 250 you really need a bit more modification than just jetting and a pipe. Intake filter changes are necessary as well if your bike is stock. You should include tuning on a dyno to get it dialed in correctly if you want to get the best performance.

Exhaust pipes from other bikes have been modded onto the Ninja 250, however the mufflers were included. The stock 08-10 head pipe ID is 1". The outlets are 1 1/2". The exhaust pipe you're looking to buy has a 2" O.D., so a mid pipe will be needed.

If this is your first bike, you may want to start with some simple tips to help your bike's performance. Try not to get hung up on sound too much, it's not a real performance enhancer for most real racing applications.
Thank you so much for the detailed response. I found another 1 1/2" exhaust short pipe and purchased that. Tuning will follow after fitting the exhaust.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 05:25 PM

Coffman Shorty

Just installed a Coffman Shorty exhaust on my 2011 ninja 250, great low growl to it and get a few extra ponies with the silencer removed. It was a little over $200 and installed in less than 20 minutes. There is a noticeable difference in throttle response, love this new edition!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 12:46 AM

You should look at this:
http://www.jardineproducts.com/index...megaphone.html

It may be just what you are looking for. Good luck and I hope to see and hear it someday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement