Rough and High RPMS at Idle - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Rough and High RPMS at Idle

Hi I'm brand new to these forums; I bought my 09 250r about a month ago with 15,500 mi. I began noticing the bike's RPMs fluctuating about 250 RPM at idle (the needle is not steady, the engine kinda lobes). When I've been running it for 10 mins or so its right around 1250 - 2000 rpms at idle (still rough), which I feel is a little high since most cars I've had are right under 1000 (I understand, motorcycles are a different beast). I've also noticed a strange whine coming from my gas tank, most noticeable when I cut the engine off. I noticed it when I purchased it, but the previous owner had asked a dealer and the dealer said it was just the air/fuel balancing out or something.

Are any of these signs of something significantly wrong or should I just clean out the carbs? The bike is due for a major service (15k) so I guess that's always an option.

Thanks for taking the time to read my first post, I'm looking forward to becoming a member of this community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 02:22 PM

It's a normal whining noise my does it & its a 2012 I got brand new with 1.5 miles in it
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 02:25 PM

My bike idles at about 1600-2000 any lower it struggles to stay running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 06:27 AM

The Ninja 250 of course is carbed so it will never be sewing machine smooth at idle. The idle speed when the bike is fully warmed should be around 1300 -1500 depending on how well tuned your bike is. At 15k miles it's past due for a few things if they have not already been done.

Air filter replacement
Spark plug replacement
Valve adjustment

All of which are very important to the tuning and running of the engine. If the bike has sat for any length of time (2 months or more) without running or having the gas treated, a mild carb cleaning may be in order. I recommend using Star Tron Fuel Treatmentalong with some fresh 87 octane gas.

The whining noise from the gas tank is normal. It is the expanding gas vapor pressure inside the tank being slowly released through the gas cap. It will come and go depending on the ambient temps.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the insight, very helpful. I'm going to clean the k&n air filter today, I looked at it yesterday and it was a mess..

I'll have the major service performed among other things, to adjust the valves and clean out the carbs before I winterize it this year.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 PM

Its a VERY good chance that your idle jets are dirty/clogged in your carbs. A dirty airfilter will affect performance, but it shouldnt make your idle bounce around so much.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 03:58 PM

Normal bike for the first time, congratulations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement