New tires, chain, and sprockets! :) Then Breaking something :( - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Malaqui
New tires, chain, and sprockets! :) Then Breaking something :(

So I had my tires, chain, and sprockets changed out today. Got the Bridgestone BT090. Kept the front at 110 and went with the 140 rear. I really like how they feel. I have not gotten to really taken them out on a full run since they are new and all i did today was weave around and take slow turns to get the tire scuffed enough getting the initial layer off.

Also changed out the front and rear sprockets to 15/42.
All I can say is that its a different BEAST all together. It just feels better. Not really sure how to explain, but i just like it. I'll give a better description later when i use my GPS against the speedo and see how it matches up.

Now what can happen under 10 miles of riding?

A PLASTIC BAG THAT CATCHES UNDER IT ALL.

Now its not the bag that actually did the damage, but it sure did catch a HUGE rock or something that shot it right up and destroy that thing. FYI, that pic is after the shop straightened the bolt and put the plate on proper. I really doubt it was the shops fault to begin with. Just glad that the plate broke instead of sending me flying.

And just for fun, here are some current pics of the bike.

Go Go Kawasaki Go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 07:10 PM

I run the Bt090 110/140 as well and really like it. -sucks about your adjuster plate

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Malaqui
So the tires feel really nice. Super confidence builder. I took it out on a twisty road and it held well, granted i was only putting in 70% effort. But I AM LOVING THEM! I also took them out on an empty parking lot and did some 8's to scrub out the chicken strips. Scrape the pegs my toes from time to time. I didnt have knee pucks and i have never tried to knee down, so hitting the pegs and toes scares me. BEST tire mod IMO.

As far as the 15/42 Sprocket setup, I think it has given the bike a bit more room. First gear can hold longer and I am no longer looking for that 7th gear. I know that Im not the only person here that tries to shift up after going into 6th. With this sprocket setup, 5th gear is super fun, and you know when you get into 6th gear because the bike isnt pulling as much and it starts to cruise. Comparing the speedo to my GPS it was holding pretty close. At 8k rpm on 5th gear speedo shows 75mph while the GPS shows 71. At 50 mph speedo, GPS shows 48mph. Dont remember what gear or rpm. the bike has been said to run 10%+ higher speedo than actual speed. So I am happy that it comes close to having under 7% difference.

I have yet to top it out, but i did hit 110 mph the other night.

Go Go Kawasaki Go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 PM

You should be careful about weaving back and forth like that with new tires. A racer friend of mine showed me the proper way to break in new tires. You need to build up heat to get them to stick their best and the way to do that is to brake and accelerate as hard as you can...WITH THE BIKE COMPLETELY VERTICAL. The flexing of the tire's carcass generates heat, not weaving back and forth. I've never seen him weave back and forth during a race to break in new tires, so i wouldn't think you'd need to either. Luckily the tires on your Ninja 250 tires are pretty sticky and the bike doesn't have much power. That could have been a bad situation on a more powerful bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement