Worst weather you've ever ridden in? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Worst weather you've ever ridden in?

(This was on my old 1986 FZ 750 BTW).

I was living in Sacramento (Rancho Cordova area) and had to go to the shop for work. It was raining out, with some thunderstorm going on, but no big deal as I had a really good Taifun brand rainsuit (which I tossed out a few weeks before I bought Ninja Boy, but that's another story.)

I was just a few blocks from work, at a stoplight, when all of a sudden I heard a loud roaring sound....then the rain came down so hard I literally could not see beyond the windscreen. The wind picked up, a lot, and I actually felt the bike beginning to lift off the ground.

About 20 seconds later, the noise stopped, the rain let up to a light shower, and the cagers on either side of me were looking at me in shock, amazed that I was still there.

I got to the shop to see my boss on the phone, both his face and knuckles were white as a sheet. He'd had the TV on and saw a tornado warning for our area and was calling to tell me to stay home.

News later confirmed that a tornado funnel had passed directly over the area I was stopped at, and had touched down briefly a mile or so away.

Almost as exciting: Hitting a patch of black ice in the mountains up there returning from work at Clear Lake.

Only other time I was more scared on a bike was taking the 101 Fwy through Downtown L.A. area.

I have done double jumps on my YZ that didn't even come close to the terror of that stupid freeway.

I have come to terms with the possibility of dying while riding, life has a 100% death rate. I would rather live having fun and end up dead in a motorcycle crash than never do anything fun because it's dangerous and I might get killed. No one makes it out alive anyway. - From a friend on another forum, used with his permission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 PM

Wow! A tornado warning!!? Unless someone has rode thru El Niņo, don't think anyone can top you story lol

Here in Phoenix, AZ.. I had the pleasure of riding thru a monsoon storm in which snow actually fell! (In Arizona? Yeah I know). It was more hail than anything, but the temps were low enough to create black ice and was very wet. If you've ever been to Arizona, then maybe you know how much the drivers are used to the rain, or any kind of storm...they're not! Horrible drivers! So that made it scary more than anything.

The other one was when a huge dust storm crawled over the mountains and swept thru the city. Really wish I had my GoPro at the time. It was like what you see in the movies. Zero visibility and hard to breathe... Awesome..

2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 636
2001 Yamaha YZ426F dirtbike
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

I was stationed in Tucson (Davis-Monthan AFB) back in the early-mid 80's and remember both the monsoon rains and dust storms well. We actually had a tornado touch down on base one evening, while my crew and I were in a hangar doing weapons load training. Good times.

I have come to terms with the possibility of dying while riding, life has a 100% death rate. I would rather live having fun and end up dead in a motorcycle crash than never do anything fun because it's dangerous and I might get killed. No one makes it out alive anyway. - From a friend on another forum, used with his permission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 03:03 PM

Wild Ride:

I thought years of riding a huge paper route six days per week, twelve months a year, (many years ago), covered most everything like: Heat, single-digit temps, high winds, heavy rain, heavy snow, mud, black ice, snakes, 12 pound killer chickens, (flying into my chest at full tilt), horse manure all across the road on the blind side of sharp downhill, idiots, drunks, drunk idiots, and mad dogs covered it all but I cannot touch a tornado man! Wow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement