Tire Upgrades - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Question Tire Upgrades

Hi guys I'm planning on getting a Ninja 250R or 650R by the end of the year. I've done a lot of reading on the cycles and most of it has said that everything on the bikes are good but the tires. I was wondering ,what do y'all think are the best tire upgrades for these bikes. I live an hour and a half away from the Tail of the Dragon which if you don't know has 318 turns in 11 miles which is an average of 28 turns per mile all around BEAUTIFUL scenery sorry I love the place. We drive it in a Porsche Boxster S LOVE IT! anyway I'll be driving the motorcycle there a lot, but the majority of the time I'll be commuting back and forth to school riding it to town or just riding for the hell of it. I've hear and read a lot about the Michelin Power series and the Dunlop Sportmax what do y'all think about it or any other tires that are good for canyon riding as well as everyday. Any help will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Head Janitor

The only thing I hate about the 250 tires is when I commute on the freeway. It's thin so you'll feel the grooves more so than wider tires. Other than that, it I have no complaints riding stock tires on mt roads.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply could I put like a steering damper on the handle bars I'd like something like this to help it not do that because I'll be riding on I95 almost the whole way or maybe go to a wider tire.
http://indysuperbike.com/customer/pr...uctid=32116914
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Head Janitor

It doesn't shake like a tank slapper and the front suspension is soft, a bit too soft IMHO, to absorb the vibration. The thin rear tire follows the freeway grooves much more noticeable than wider tires. I have a 600RR with 180 rear tire so I can compare the feel side by side. I know some people swap out with slightly wider after market tires, but that also add unsprung weight and rotational mass. I just deal with it, not really a big deal but it's something you just get use to. Lane splitting on the 250 is awesome!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Well my Dad and I have a family friend who is a member of Carolina Motorsports Park so I'll be able to get plenty of track time. He is an instructor that has a buisness training people so I'll be kneeing down in no time. I want to make sure I can do that with out issues on the stock tire what you think about that?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Head Janitor

Scraping your knee sliders isn't a problem. To actually go fast and use your knee to gauge your lean angle has always been an issue. When I had my F4i, I ran stock tires and touched down w/o an issue. I barely do it on my track only 600RR with DOT race tires.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 AM

The stock tires are more than capable of handling more than what most "beginner" riders can dish out. I'd say ride with them and see... if for some reason you feel like they aren't living up to your expectations go ahead and upgrade... but I think you'll be plesantly suprised with the stock tires.

09' SE Ninja 250R
Shogun crash kit, Sato Racing bar ends, Pazzo shorty levers, Puig DB screen, Proton flushmounts, Luimoto seat covers, Fender Eliminator w/ LED signals and plate light, Progrip 725 black/green grips, Immortal Graphix Monster tank pad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement