Both versions? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum
View Poll Results: Have you owned both models?
Yes, I owned an older 250 and now own the new model 1 9.09%
No, I've only owned the older model 2 18.18%
No, I've only owned the newer model 7 63.64%
No, I've owned neither and am just on this site to be a post whore and annoy others 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Both versions?

How many here have owned both an older Ninja 250 as well as the new model?

If you've owned both, is there anything about the older model you liked more than the newer model?

https://www.250r.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1217136591

If you feel like you've outgrown your 250, you've probably outgrown your helmet too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 05:47 PM

No, sorry. I just have ridden the new one. I haven't even seen one of the older models in the flesh (metal?), let alone ridden one.

I have no point of reference, but I love the new one.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 07:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to SubZero
For me it was a night and day different between the two and there is nothing I like about the old one (2004). It really sucked. The new one just completely rocks and is SO easy to ride.

Yes I'm a
08 Monster Energy (replica) 250R
WARNING! Psychological Nudity. Adult content. Viewer discretion is advised.
Be mischievous. It feels good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 11:08 PM

Only the older models here an '05 and an '07 essentially the same bikes except for some purely cosmetic changes..

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
For me it was a night and day different between the two and there is nothing I like about the old one (2004). It really sucked. The new one just completely rocks and is SO easy to ride.
Could it just be the cosmetic differences that makes you think it's so much better? Would you be willing to strip both bikes of their fairing and ride them to see if you really do feel a difference? (other than just KNOWING one is older and one is newer). Know what I mean?

If you feel like you've outgrown your 250, you've probably outgrown your helmet too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMoe View Post
Could it just be the cosmetic differences that makes you think it's so much better? Would you be willing to strip both bikes of their fairing and ride them to see if you really do feel a difference? (other than just KNOWING one is older and one is newer). Know what I mean?
You may have a point. At least in my case, it was really night and day (only as far as looks) and I decided to spend a bit more to get the one I really liked.

However, as far as I know, there have been some changes in engine, suspension, tire size... a major re-design from what I've heard. So it could be possible that the bike does feel a bit different. Of course this is just theoretical assumptions as I've never ridden the previous one; just pointing out the changes that could make it feel different.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:25 AM

Mine's all naked.. Anyone else wanna strip...?

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SubZero
Quote:
I know what you mean. No it's not a cosmetic thing. Suspension played a large role and so did the new tire size. For me the new model was /is a lot easier to ride. The throttle response was way better and so was handling. With the 04 I had you had to muscle it a little bit to get it to do what you wanted especially on the track. That bike (04), for me, took a lot more work to ride. Kawasaki did make engine and suspension changes. But for me it was all about the changes made for handling and throttle. On the new one the brakes are better and stronger. But yeah. It's all about handling on the track and just over all "feel". I rode both bikes one day a few times just to see if I noticed the changes and by the end of it I was disgusted with the 04 and refused to touch it and and was glad it was being sold. But again, that's what it is for me. Kawasaki did made changes in the chassis so that helped a lot. They also boast that some 70% of the engine has changes and created a 30% boost in mid-range power. So the bike yes is definitely different and it's a lot more then just cosmetically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakdawg View Post
Mine's all naked.. Anyone else wanna strip...?
I'm down to my underwear and socks! Oh you meant the bikes!!!! Sorry.

Yes I'm a
08 Monster Energy (replica) 250R
WARNING! Psychological Nudity. Adult content. Viewer discretion is advised.
Be mischievous. It feels good.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Head Janitor

Quote:
How many here have owned both an older Ninja 250 as well as the new model?

If you've owned both, is there anything about the older model you liked more than the newer model?

Me! 2002 250 and 2008 250.

Suspension: 08+ wins on this because it's adjustable and the front doesn't nose dive as much under hard braking.

Handling: I feel the 08+ wins, especially higher speed, because the larger wheels give me a more secured feel. It doesn't bounch as much on the freeway and doesn't get blown around by the wind as much.

Power: I feel that the pre-08 has more power up high, but the 08+ is easier to ride around the streets.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
I'm down to my underwear and socks! Oh you meant the bikes!!!! Sorry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement