Filling up gas tank - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Filling up gas tank

This may be a ridiculous question, but maybe someone else might find an answer to it useful.

For the first time I stopped by the gas station yesterday. I pulled really close to the pump because I didn't want the bike on the side stand while pumping gas so it wouldn't spill, or stop way before being full. So I am on the bike, keeping it straight the whole time.

First, I had to struggle a little to have the vapor recovery cap over the tank's opening, and once I thought it was properly sealed, I started pumping and it immediately stopped. I fiddled around with it a few times and I was finally able to put 2 gallons worth of gas in the tank. I took the nozzle out and it looked close to full, but since the tank was almost empty when I got there (at least according to the gauge), I decided to try and put a little more but it just kept stopping without pumping much. So I returned the nozzle and finished the transaction.

Turned the bike on and I see it's only a tad above the half-tank mark.

Am I doing this the wrong way? Should it be on the side stand? Do you guys keep fueling until reaching about 4 gallons (considering the tank is almost empty)? Or do you usually fill just a couple of gallons per visit? Is there a way to adjust the vapor recovery cover so it would stop at the right time? Am I even asking reasonable questions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SubZero
Of course you're asking reasonable questions. Not asking questions would make you an idiot. Yah know. The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Leave your bike on the side stand when filling it up. What I do is hold the sleeve on the gas pump up and put the nozzle just inside the tank and start pumping till I see the gas almost touch the top of the tank. Then I stand the bike up and fill it up even further till full. Does that makes sense? If not please tell me and I'll do my best to explain further.

The recovery cap /gas cap is sealed just fine. The gas nozzle has a sensor in it. So unless the plastic sleeve on the nozzle isn't pulled all the way back it will not release fuel. When filling up (as said above. I feel like repeating myself today) put your bike on the side stand (get off the bike), open the gas tank, you know all this process. Pull the sleeve back on the gas nozzle putting just the tip of the nozzle just inside the tank and fill-er up! Look and see where the gas level is. If it's not full slowly keep filling. If you must stand the bike up the get on the bike and repeat the above process.

Hope this all helps.

Yes I'm a
08 Monster Energy (replica) 250R
WARNING! Psychological Nudity. Adult content. Viewer discretion is advised.
Be mischievous. It feels good.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Head Janitor

What she said!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Alright, thank you very much for this very informative post.

Now back to our regularly scheduled threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement