Advice Needed: Buying a '08 that's been sitting for 2 years - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Advice Needed: Buying a '08 that's been sitting for 2 years

Thinking about getting a entry level bike (first bike), and found an ad for a 2008 Ninja 250R that's been sitting for a few years (currently does not run). It has a missing title, and the seller is asking $800 or best offer. Odometer is at 13244.

As a first bike to learn on, is this a good idea to purchase? If I can talk down the price enough, will it be a good deal? Or am I getting into something way over my head, and making a decision that I will regret? I'm not too mechanically inclined (at most just doing oil changes on my own car, nothing more than that), and I have no experience with bikes whatsoever (but am willing to learn). Planning to use it to commute to university (which is a daily 15 mile commute, all surface streets) as the parking situation for cars is terrible (can never find parking). I'll still have a car in case something goes wrong with the bike or if it rains (but I am from Southern California, so the weather here is pretty good).

Pictures of bike: 250R - Album on Imgur

Description of the ad: Selling a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R The bike has been sitting outside for a couple of years and will need new tires, chain, battery, and probably a carb cleaning. I was going to turn this into a track bike but no longer have the time for it. Does not currently run, you will need to bring a truck or trailer to take home. REG 262 signed and bill of sale from registered owner in hand to re-title bike since title was misplaced

Seller told me that the previous owner dropped it once, lost the title, and stored it for two years. Seller bought it non-running, and planned to turn it into a track bike, but lost interest once he purchased a ready track bike, and stored it for another 6 months (he never registered/titled it in his name). Bike was stored on a full tank of gas, outside in the sun.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice offered, be it specifically regarding this bike or anything in general; I know I'm not knowledgeable and am willing to listen and learn. Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement