250EX to the New 2012 650R - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

250EX to the New 2012 650R

I believe I'm gonna sell my new bike for a newer one...

When I bought my 2007 250 I was told to go 500... I didn't want a Big sized bike for my first bike, I am a fairly small guy and no major weight lifter...

I've had my 250 for about a month now and I know I still have to learn more but by the time I get my M2 (In Canada it goes M1, M2, M) I feel that I want a bike that has a higher top speed.

I am kinda afraid of a 650R because of its size...Never really sat on one but from seeing past bikes bigger then 250's. I just dont want it to be to heavy for me.

I love going out on a nice strip (have not been on the highway) and just riding. With my 250 I run 60-80mph and I find it pretty stable but when wind hits and I'm going below 60mp I get pushed a bit more then I would like.

Basically will I find a 650R to be too big for me?? In Canada we have a 400R that is a detuned 650R. For the money and better parts I feel the 650R would be a better choice and the weight difference is minimal (10lbs)

I love how I can dip my 250 down at low speeds will a 650 fall?? LOL Im still an armature rider and will be riding my 250 for a few months more but should I be worried about a 650R???

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 11:59 AM

why do you want a bigger bike exactly?

I don't think a 650 will fall at speeds like that. I bought a new windshield for my '07 250 and it made a HUGE difference. Bought the euro sport from mikesshields.com because my stock screen was cracked. I can sit upright all day and I think I have less than half the wind force blowing directly at me. You should get a new screen and then see if you still want to sell it.

I was thinking about selling mine like you are, but I don't think I will now. These 250's can do it all. I've even taken mine on a few 5 hour trips and it's been fantastic. A bigger bike would be nice I guess, but for what purpose? My bike goes about 100mph, accelerates quickly, is easy to handle, and is perfectly comfortable going 75mph for hours. What else do you need! It's as complete as it gets in my opinion.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:58 PM

You have to react to the wind by leaning slightly into it. Stronger wind = more of a lean angle. I have ridden mine in 50mph wind gusts and its a little sketchy but its doable. And slower speeds make it easier.

On the topic of 650r. That bike is a detuned zx6. It is designed for riders who are new to 600s. Its powerband doesn't really kick in till 7000rpms. So if you get it keep it below tht till you get used to it more. Idk how short you are but it can be lowered a lot. My friends gf has one that's shorter than my 04 250. And I believe it pretty much tops out at 130mph(just what I heard)

Sent from my Ally using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

I love the size of my 250 but my biggest complaint is the top speed. I know this sounds really dumb and seems like a dangerous move (to want to contuine going faster lol) I would just like to have that extra highway power because I feel most of my cruising will be done on hwy.

I seen a 600 series bike that I would be able to work with. I have to see what there like and continue to get more hours on mine.

The blow by wind off trucks doesnt bother me after the first two blow by I got use to it. But when I am sitting up right (tho I love being crouched even in the city) I hate the feeling that a gust of wind is litterily gonna swoop me up.

I do tho feel more confortable at higher speeds. 60mph + I love. 250's a re great but I think I just want that extra power between my legs.

I feel I'll make the move in time but for now I'll keep learing on my 250. Plus I want my money back for it if I sell lol. I paid 3200 Canadian certi. 3400 miles. about a montha ago lol.

My biggest worrie is the weight of the bike...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 06:59 PM

I kind of feel the same the highway scares me because its so light. The 600 top speed isn't much faster top speed bit it gets there faster and may be a little heavier. I see a 600/650 in the next season or 2 in my future. The good news if you take care of your bike the value will not decrease much or at all!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

I was coming home tonight and the bike size does seem small (but I havent felt how big big is) but handles so well, Im not afraid to weave potholes (unless the ground is cracked) but I like cruisin at 70MPH thats where I always end up and I dont like just riding the bike slow, like the 250 does so well.

To me the 250cc engine with its exciting but long awaited redline at 13,000 is like a Honda with Vtec...I drive Nissan... You either ride in the low rpm or the high if you get in the middle you have to be patient with it to get going. My Nissan has a very low redline but its all power inbetween. I think a 650 Ninja will close that gap.

As for 650 weights 100lbs more then a 250 but only 10lbs more the a 400 (canadian model)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 08:52 PM

There is a huge difference between a 250r and a 650r. The 650 weighs (wet) about 80 lbs more than the 250. It has more than double the HP and torque. It will go 125-130 honest mph (not speedometer reading). It will do about a 12.6 quarter mile, whereas the 250 will do a 15.1 or 15.2 quarter mile. Mid-range torque will feel about triple the amount on the 650. The 650 sits higher, has a smaller gas tank, gets worse gas mileage, and thus has a shorter range than a 250r. Few bikes will match a 250r's range (old Kawasaki Conquors with 7.5 gallon tanks will and some old BMW's). If you can ride a 250r well, you CAN ride a 650, you should just take it slower and easier till you get used to the increased power. There is also a huge difference between a ZX-6r (600) than a 650r. The 600 will do high 10 second quarter miles and will approach 160 mph in top speed. It's lighter than the 650, sits lower, gets worse gas mileage will cost more to insure (with most companies), handles better, has a better suspension system, tires cost more, don't last as long, and the seating position is better for racing on a track, and worse for driving long distances on the street (lower bars, further back footpegs, higher footpegs, etc. You could ride either one, just respect them both. The 600 will cost about 33% more too.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 AM

Are you serious?

This thread is ridiculous. You really need to learn how to ride. Obviously, you need to work on your basic mechanics on handling the bike. If you get the bigger bike, you will probably just end like so many other squids kissing the asphalt. Do yourself a favor, and your loved ones, and learn how to ride the bike you have. It is more than adequate to do what you want it to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement