Monthly Cost of Having a Bike ?? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Question Monthly Cost of Having a Bike ??

How much does it cost you a month to have a bike?

Hey guys and gals how's it going?

I'm looking to get onto a 250 soon. Most likely within the next month. I'm currently saving up for a downpayment,gear and the msf course. I figure 2k for a down payment,300$ for gear(probably just get a helmet,boots and gloves and just to ride around the neighborhood until ) and 300 for the msf course.

Anyway one of the reasons I wanted to get a bike was because of how great it Is on gas I figure that with all the driving I do with my car id be able to save at around 200$ on gas(I spend around 300-400a month). But I became curious on how the monthly cost it is to maintain the bike so I can sort set my budget around that.
I know the payments I'm looking for are around 250 a month max(I'm looking to pay it off asap), the insurance around 100$ and how much am I looking at spending on maintaining the bike? And how much does it cost you to have a bike on a monthly basis?

Also on a semi-related question do they only have 2012-11 bikes at kawa dealers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 AM

It doesn't cost me anything but gas to maintain my bike, got from dealer in feb, my oil change was 35 bucks. I feel Like your underestimating the start up cost, my helmet Alone was 250,jacket 150, gloves 50 full coverage insurance was 500 for the year but filling up on gas I've never had to do more than 15 for like 2 weeks so I'm not sober now so I'm rambling. I have no payments.. Cash money

We raise hell bitch!!!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Local Forum Asshole!!

Last edited by Gabe81; 05-15-2012 at 10:15 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:03 AM

you can get a decent helmet for $50-100, jacket for $50, and gloves for $25, but Gabe probably got the best stuff which is definitely encouraged

also to add to the startup cost is registering the bike and getting it inspected. In Texas, registration is about $75 and inspection is $15.

I have liability insurance and that's about $150 per year. I got the insurance with allstate since that's what I have on my truck so I got a discount for having already been a member.

The MSF course I took was at a local community college and only cost $200.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Where is a good place to find good gear at a decent price ??

I might have to wait a little longer because I forgot about the down payment for insurance and registration fee's but I don't mind the weather is crazy lately in Miami.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 PM

Craigslist is a good place if you are working with a budget and don't mind hand-me-downs. Just realize that throughout time you'll acquire nicer equip. If you decide to keep riding.
Good luck!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 07:59 PM

Work sux

We raise hell bitch!!!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Local Forum Asshole!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 PM

I'd say stop by CycleGear.com. They've got good deals and a killer return policy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilligan08 View Post
Craigslist is a good place if you are working with a budget and don't mind hand-me-downs. Just realize that throughout time you'll acquire nicer equip. If you decide to keep riding.
Good luck!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
+1 to this!!! craigslist is awesome and ebay and amazon are your friends to.

bought my coat for 20 bucks
helmet for 80
pants for 60
did all the maintanance oil/filter, sparkplugs, brake fluid, etc for 30 dollars because i did the work myself

the monthly cost will depend on how much you ride it really, oil and filter normally will cost around 20 bucks, tires will need to be changed every 10-15k miles depending on your riding style, sprockets and chain at around 15k miles. but the only monthly or bi-monthly thing really would be oil changes. good luck!

Last edited by ivonko; 05-17-2012 at 05:02 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 AM

It really depends on you. There are things that you're going to have to spend money on (registration, insurance). If you buy from a dealer you'l pay the sales tax to them, if not then you'll pay that when you register the bike. As far a gear goes, you could spend as much money as you want. I bought a very nice helmet ($160) gloves ($25) from the dealer i bought my bike from. A co worker gave me a jacket for free but you should expect to spend 200-300 on that.

When it comes to monthly cost, its really not a lot if any at all. Of course you want to keep up with your scheduled maintenance and make sure every thing is running how it should (tires, chain, ect). I bought mine brand new and the 600 mile service was about $150. next service is at 4000 miles. Insurance for me is about 200 a year liability through progressive.

After all was said and done, I probably spent around 6500 to date. hope this helps
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 PM

I will second the motion that you don't need to shell out 500-1000 bucks to get good gear, although if you can afford it, top of the line is the best way to go. Vega helmets are almost all DOT, SNELL, and CE approved, and you can get some killer full face helms between 80-120. I got my helmet, a Vega Daytona, on Amazon for 20 plus 8 shipping. I got a leather perforated leather jacket with removable liner from Iron Pony Direct for 40 plus 8 shipping, and waterproof pants with removable liner from Jafrum for 50 plus 8 shipping. There is armor in the knees, elbows, shoulders, and back, but I wish the pants had tailbone armor. I did a LOT of shopping for these, but it was very much worth it. I learned a lot about motorcycling during the shopping too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement