pretty pumped to be back on 2. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

pretty pumped to be back on 2.

a friend of mine used my assistance a few months ago, to go check out an 09 ninja 250. i helped him fix a few things and he was able to ride it about 45 minutes home. the bike still needed some real work, but i was able to do a few things over a couple of hours in a lowes parking lot to get it good enough to get home.
he rode the bike for the next few months after that, and it was pretty good. when it began to get cold for winter, he just let it die with the onset of the chill. now the battery is dead, he thinks the carbs might have crudded up, and there are some misc issues making the bike crummy. he says he doesnt want to mess with it any more and wants to just give it to me.
WOO!!!
i'm going to give him a little $ for it still, but really, basically free ninja

i wish it was a first gen, so that i could have a nice looking naked ninja. the 2nd gens look a little silly IMHO.

breathing life back into the bike will, i'm guessing require:
charge the battery if possible, or get a new one
drain the gas
clean the carbs and replace any gaskets
the right handlebar is bent, and i'll be replacing that, too, once the bike runs again.

aside from my plans up there, anyone else have any good advice?

this is, i think, my 9th bike and i know my way around a rebuild. i plan on getting it running well again, riding it for a little, and then putting it on craigslist. he never got the title in his name, because it wasnt in the name of the guy who sold it to him. i will have the title, but i dont want to go through the pain in the butt of getting it registered. i'll give any potential buyer as much notice and supply the tx dot forms at the time of sale.
or, it could be a track toy. i might be able to fit it, my gear, and a couple of tires in the back of my mazda 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 11:08 AM

Garage
Sounds like you got it all covered for a quick flip. If you planned on keeping it I would suggest setting up the suspension, the rear shock is okay for heavier riders on the NewGen, but the fork springs are weaker. At the very least change out the fork oil for fresh, maybe a little bit thicker. Your call.

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.

Last edited by Ghostt; 03-22-2016 at 11:10 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

well, my opinion changed a little after sitting on the bike. the position is not bad at all. i thought i'd be leaned over more. i may wind up holding onto the little gal.
speaking of gals, here are my daughters who have already taken a liking to the bike.
new battery is in, so it cranks, but does not start, because the air filter was soaked in oil. i think the shop he took it to for an oil change put way too much in.
problem number 2 is that the gas cap is stuck. the key does nothing. i removed the tank and drained it, making sure to spill a good amount of gas on myself, of course... some of the gas had a yellowish milkyness to it. like my friend went half regular grade gas and half chai latte. i'm guessing that is from the whole way too much oil change?

i'm ordering new cables, mirrors, and a couple of other bits. i'm looking forward to a ride hopefully next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6201_1182129215131055_2288033672677847227_n.jpg (134.3 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

oh, i have a question. what is the rectangular box behind the left front fairing? some kind of carb emissions thing? i know i should just leave it alone and leave it on the bike, but i meddle. cant help it. just gotta get all up innit.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 06:22 AM

Garage
If it's a California model then yes, here's a couple of links that might help.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Hose_ro...ine_fuel_tanks

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

I have an 08 or 09. That is for a 1st gen.

I played with the gas tank lock today after work and got it open. I tried remounting the tank, but it was already pretty dark. Looking forward to this weekend.
Im sure I screwed up the order of the hoses. I couldn't get the bike to start. Might need to pull the spark plugs. This frame is so tight on the working area for the engine and carbs. I hope to never ever have to mess with it again once I get the bike set up, lol
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:16 PM

Garage
PreGen is 88~07 NewGen is 08 & up. Sorry I missed that, here's another link

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/2008_(and_up)_EX250J_Info

http://www.theyeagergroup.com/Compar...ninja_250s.htm

Unfortunately I'm not up on my NewGen small details. If you not a member of Ninjette.org I would suggest it, as it's a very active forum, with a lot of helpful information and members.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

Last edited by Ghostt; 03-23-2016 at 08:18 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the links. this is some good reading.
in the variety of bikes i have owned and worked on, i think this frame is the most frustrating so far, lol. newest bike i have ever owned.
my 82 honda cm200 was a dream boat to work on. lol

i'm going to be all over ninjette.org after i get off work today
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 04:32 PM

Garage
The frame is bit flimsy compared to its bigger brothers, it's an entry level bike.

The only Honda I owned was a CX500 Turbo, heavy bike but fun at the same time.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

Last edited by Ghostt; 03-24-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement