Looking to get a 250r, but i have a few questions. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Looking to get a 250r, but i have a few questions.

Hello everyone, i am just getting into motorcycles and im looking to get a bike within the next couple of months. I am very interested in the 250 mostly because i am 18 and insurance is ridiculous for bigger and faster bikes, but i have a few questions. What type of gas mileage can i expect when running it normally, not running it super hard or anything? I will be using it for driving back and forth to college because i have to get better than the 15mpg im getting out of my jeep right now. How many miles can i expect the engine to last when properly taken care of? My last question might seem weird, but how many rpms does the bike run when going 60 mph and 70 mph in 6th gear. Thanks for helping me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 AM

45-75mpg

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 PM

I think typically, if you take care of it then the engine should last you at least 50,000 miles. Different people say different things, but 30,000 seems about the norm.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_lon...engine_last%3F

I have an '07 (older model) and between 60-70mph, it runs between 8-9 thousand rpms. A lot of people will change the front sprocket, and that helps the rpm's go down.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 PM

yo, im 18 as well and have a ninja. I cruise around 7k to 9k rpm when going 60.
i got around 63 mpg for the month of october.
30k - 60k sounds about right on the 250. After that many miles, you'll probably want to step up to a bigger bike anyways. But, an engine rebuild would be in the works at that mileage. Cylinder overbore, new pistons and rings, timing chain, timing chain guides, seals, bearings, valve job, and new clutch plates are the least you could expect.

Like a car, you'll need regular oil changes every 3,000 miles, new tires periodically (bike tires only last about 5,000 - 8,000 miles or so,) new drive chain and sprockets every so often (maybe 10,000 to 15,000 miles, depending on how often you manually oil it.) Spark plugs and brakes every 6 - 10,000 miles, you have to have your valves adjusted in the same interval. Every couple of years, have your dealer or shop go through everything, check the battery, lube the cables, adjust chain, check steering head and wheel bearings, etc etc.
The just keep the bike running healthy and you never know how long they can go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement