Bringing my bike home - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Bringing my bike home

So, I'm picking up my 2010 ninja 250r with 4200 miles next thursday, I'm getting it used from the dealer so it will be in good condition and all prepped to ride. I have a couple questions:
-What should I do with the bike the weekend that I have it, should I clean it, do an oil change, work on the chain etc.
-I'll be riding it for about 4 days then I'll be going back to college for about 2-3 weeks before coming back from school for the summer when I'll be riding it everyday, is there anything special I should do with the bike during the 3 week -period it is sitting? Should I have a family member start it up every couple days?
-I'll be getting my temps the day before I get the bike then I will be taking the test at the dmv early summer, how do I get the bike insured before I purchase it or do I do that at the store?

I've read around a lot and these don't really fit any of the stuff I've ready.
Thanks for the responses,
Cody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 01:50 PM

while it's sitting there for three weeks, don't just have someone start it and leave it sitting there running. That can be bad for the bike.

3 weeks isn't that long, and you'd probably be ok with it just sitting, but the best thing to do is to have someone get out and ride it for about 20 minutes every couple of days. Just to get the oil running throughout the engine and keep the gas fresh, those may be the two main things.

I know this post is about two weeks old already, but you said "next thursday" which is the 12, which was 2 days ago. lol. I purchased liability insurance from all-state and since I was already a customer, it's only about $170-something per year or about $15 per month. As I was shopping around, allstate was still the cheapest I could find. You definitely should wait until you have it before getting insurance. Taking the MSF course will help lower the insurance as well.

Also, you shouldn't need to lube the chain or do oil changes. The previous owner or the dealer should've changed the oil at around 3,000 miles, but I suppose you can if you really want to. It wouldn't hurt anything, and neither would lubing the chain. Just saying that it's not really necessary at this point.

Obviously clean it if it's dirty. Also, store it inside wherever you're keeping the bikes for the three weeks. Parts will rust, especially the headers.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement