Just to brag about plasti dip... - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Just to brag about plasti dip...

So I decided to create this post because anyone that has never used plasti dip I feel like is missing out A LOT.

I always wanted a white and blue bike because it matches my gear color scheme and I just love the look of it. But the bike I ended up buying was all black everything, which is fine. I could have lived with that. But I had used plasti dip before on tire rims and figured "Why not try it?"

So, cool things about plasti dip:

1. It looks pretty on point if you do it well. People will pay a lot of money for a nice plasti dip job. Learning how to do it yourself at home is simple. You might not get it at first but that's not really a big deal, which leads me to my next point...

2. It peels right off. It's basically a rubber coating. When you peel it off it kind of feels like a trash bag. But if you make a mistake, or it gets dirty or scratched etc. you can literally rip it right off and start over.

3. Easy to clean, and less expensive to do so. Cleaning plasti dip doesn't take much more than some simple green all purpose cleaner and a micro fiber towel. And the coating itself looks pretty clean as is. It's difficult to get it very dirty. But if you do just spraying it down a little with simple green works even better than soap and water on the rubber.

4. Waayyyy more affordable than a paint job or new fairings. You can buy a single can of plasti dip for 6 dollars. To do a whole bike takes something like six or eight cans total. But that is nothing compared to what you would pay for a proffesional paint job or new fairings.

5. It covers scratches. My bike has been down several times and you cannot even tell because of the coating.

6. SOOO many color choices. Their website is loaded with tons of different colors to choose from. So you can basically make the bike look however you want with a skilled hand and a way to spray it on there. If you don't feel like ordering anything, you can find most primary colors at wal mart or home improvement stores.

7. It goes on as a matte color, which is fine. But if you decide you don't like that, they sell a "glossifier" to make it look glossy like real paint. And the stuff works really well.

So now that I've bragged a little, I can say a few downsides:

1. Getting it down can be tricky. I had a lot of problems when learning. It can drip or spot or whatever it decides to do and if one coat goes wrong you pretty much have to start over.

2. It is fairly time comsuming. I did everything on my bike but the swing arm and the tank, and my bike was down for a week because of it. In the end it was worth it. But still. Time has to be taken into account. You also have to have temps above 60 to use it, so good luck just trying to get it done in the winter. I recommend a rainy day in a garage =]

3. It requires several coats to look good, which is why it's so time consuming. But again, worth it in the end.

4. You can't dip the tank. Well, you CAN. But you probably shouldn't. Gasoline will melt the coating and goodbye nice plasti dip. If you do it, I recommend being very careful when filling up.

5. You have to be careful what chemicals you get on it. Things WILL melt it. So there's that. But that's a pretty easy situation to avoid. No wax or paint thinners and you should be good.

All in all, the pros very much outweigh the cons. I love the way my bike looks with it on. It's not hard to maintain, and it isn't expensive. It means spending a little time in the garage, but who doesn't love that anyways?

I highly recommend trying it for anything at least once. Your bike, car decals, rims, I think there's even pinterest pages with people doing projects with it. A good resource to learn more about it would be the DipYourCar youtube channel. They are super helpful and have a lot of awesome videos.

Anyways, I'll post before and after pictures of my bike. I just thought I should enlighten people on it if they've never used it before. Hope some one reads this and decides to try it out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1438852243506.jpg (63.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 1438852266767.jpg (72.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1438852280136.jpg (76.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 1438852302446.jpg (41.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1438852316766.jpg (48.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 1438852363816.jpg (44.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 1438852397641.jpg (57.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 1438852424706.jpg (31.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by TinyHippo; 08-06-2015 at 02:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement