Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner

Problem with valve adjustment

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  tadster00 
#1 ·
While doing a valve adjustment I am not able to adjust one of the exhaust valves. I loosened the adjusting nut and backed off the screw and still no gap for the feeler gauge. All others adjusted fine. What does this mean? rocker arm as no free play even with screw aii of the way out. Any help?

#2 · (Edited)
Just so I understand, the adjuster screw turns, correct?

Have you tried turning the engine a few different ways? The owners manual says that you need to line up both lines when turning it, but really, the cam heads just need to be pointing upwards for you to adjust them. Offer times, you'll think you've adjust one correctly, then you turn the engine a few times and realize is was too loose or too tight.

#4 ·
How many miles does the bike have on it? Are you the first owner and/or do you have a service record of the bike, in case you're not the only one to ever do a valve adjustment on it?

It's possible that if someone else did a valve adjustment(s) on this bike incorrectly or didn't sync the carbs and messed up with the valve adjustment, even just with one of the lobes, that cylinder may have had to work extra and therefore the valve is out of adjustment.

I can't think of anything else it could be, but I'm not expert as I've only done a few myself, but never had any problems other than initially discovering the rocker arms were broken on my bike and had to replace 4 of them, so I did learn a lot via the hard way lol.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.