Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner

Thinking about buying a Ninja

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Ghostt 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, my name is Cody, I'm from Winston Salem NC and I was looking for some advice before I make a purchase.

First off, I am completely new to the bike world. I've never ridden a street bike before, which is why I'm looking at 250's, they're relatively low power, and the entire purpose for me wanting a bike is not the speed, rather the cheap gas and the thrill of riding.

My main questions are, is the Ninja a good bike to start out on?
How reliable are they?
Is there a better platform you would recommend I start out on?

I'm currently looking at this one on craigslist....
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/4536691268.html

Does this look like a good deal? The paint looks pretty terrible, so I was thinking about offering $1,400 to compensate for the paint job, but what do you guys think? Any help is appreciated! I'm completely new to the entire bike scene and really need some advice before I go through with a purchase

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome, here are just a few things to think about,
1.Get trained and licensed http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx ,
2.Wear protective gear -- ATGATT All The Gear, All The Time -- including a helmet manufactured to the standards set by the DOT
3.Ride unimpaired by alcohol or other drugs
4.ALWAYS Ride within your own skill limits
5.Be a lifelong learner by taking refresher rider courses

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, the 250 is a good choice, they are easy to handle, easy way to work on, parts are dirt cheap, the other good choice is the Ninja 500,

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#3 ·
The 250 Ninja is by far one of the most versatile bikes around. Look around at some of the other 250 forums and the number of riders still riding their older model 250's all over the place, the iron butt riders, track racers, land speed racers, tourers even some off road. The 250 Ninja just about does it all, unlike some Supersports. If this is your first bike, it is the perfect thing for you to learn how to ride. Also the cost of ownership is way less than a bigger bike.

Honing your riding skills is really important and the 250 is hands down one of the best motorcycle for beginners to professionals alike. It's been in a class all by itself, so it's longevity is a testament to it's reliability and owner loyalty. Because of the new design the Ninja250 & 300 have gained more popularity than ever and a whole new market.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Can anyone give me some advice on the bike listed in the description?
A little bit more info, the guy said it was laid down once by the previous owner but fixed. He also said the
left fork seal leaks a bit
ridden daily with 29k miles
was stored outside at one point
front rotor is slightly warped but not enough for concern
tires have about 60 to 75 percent tread left
no dry rotting on any of the hoses
all electricals work fine

What do you guys think? Does $1,800 sound fair? It needs a paint job and new fork seals and front rotor for sure, and 29k miles is pretty high for an '09 250. What should I offer if I do make an offer?

#6 ·
Can anyone give me some advice on the bike listed in the description?
Based on the picture and what was described...I'd pass. How's the regular maintenance on it? At tha age and mileage point, there's a lot that should have been done/ should be done. (i.e., chain, air filter, sprockets, plugs, brakes, fluids, valve adjustment, etc..)

Here's a piece of advice. Wait. it's the middle of the riding season, anybody looking to sell a bike is looking to dump it for as much money as possible to somebody who's over excited and anxious about buying a bike. Chances are there are things wrong with it and the buyer will have to put some work in it to make it safe and rideable.

Look at all ads and local shops for sales. Don't jump on the first thing you see. Compare prices and quality of each bike then make an informed decision. Also keep in mind you may have to leave your local area for the best deal. Also waiting for the end or just before riding season is the best time to buy a bike. There will be a lot more good choices. Paying a few extra hundred dollars for a bike that needs no repairs is worth more than a bike, that you have to fix more often than than you get to ride it. Do this and follow the tips in the previous threads and you'll be fine.

#7 ·
Agreed, but whenever buying a used bike, I always assume nothing's been done to it, and I preform a full maintenance when I get it, not only is it done for sure, but it gives you a good idea on what shape it's in, and gives you some experience on working on the bike.

I'd say if your set on getting it, offer a low price that will cover the cost of doing the maintenance at the very least.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.