Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner

my ninja makes a weird high pitch sound...merged threads

39K views 48 replies 36 participants last post by  How2 
#1 ·
Does anyone experience a high-pitched squeal when the tank builds pressure? (full or empty)

I can park when it's cool in the morning, and as the air temp. rises, it starts to make noise. (even in the garage when it's warm)
Not really a "problem", just annoying.:udontsay

#28 ·
looking for help! weird noises

Hello there!

I'm a recent owner of a 2009 ninja 250r! I love the bike and as a new rider I've been pretty disciplined in respecting the bike and staying within my limits.

I've also let my roommate drive my ninja occasionally.. and unfortunately today he tried to make an abrupt stop while going about 25-30mph in the gravel/dirt and lost control and dropped it hard on the right side as well as flying off it.

Thankfully he's alright.. a few big scratches but he'll be fine.

Unfortunately, parts of the right fairing are scratched, as well as the exhaust with a small dent on it, right mirror cracked, and right blinker lights broken. My BIGGEST worry is now when I start my ninja I can hear something like a squeal coming from the engine area where the gasoline is. Also, when I shake my ninja I can hear the gasoline swooshing back and forth (I swear I never heard those sounds before.. I may think I'm just being paranoid).

Can anyone confirm if there are gasoline swooshing sounds when you shake your ninja side to side or up and down? And does anyone know what the problem might be with the squeal sound? It happens when I turn or get ready to turn on my ninja, sometimes when I make turns, and when I'm braking.. I believe there's a small hole in one of the gas lines and the air pressure leaking is making those sounds..

Sorry for the long post and thank you for any help and input!

#29 ·
That sucks dude, thats why i never let anyone use my bike. As for the gas swooshing around, thats normal i hear it all the time especially when im getting low on gas. The whining noise is pressure buolt up in the tank, open your gas cap and youll hear the pressure release. Keep riding and be safe!

Sent from my MB855 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#31 ·
that really sucks, man. Pretty sure the previous owner did the exact same thing to my bike. The right muffler is all scraped up as well as the upper fairing.

Those noises are completely normal. Nothing to worry about. If we wasn't going to fast and the bike didn't land "awkwardly" then I'm sure all you have is cosmetic damage

#35 ·
my ninja makes a weird high pitch sound

Hi guys. Need some help and thought someone must have seen (actually heard) that before. My bike makes a strange sound sometimes (not always, just maybe once a week or 2 weeks). It is a high pitch sound from around the front of the bike. It is usually happens when I sit on the bike/move it (not sure if every time the key is in or not). I have managed to record the sound:

Please let me know what this might be as I am getting worried I should fix it or something will go bad.

#39 · (Edited)
Seeing as this is a common question I'm gonna make this thread a sticky. And I have merged 4 older threads into this one as well.

The Ninja 250 is a master at making odd noises compared to other bikes....part of what makes it interesting. :eek:hyaaa

#40 ·
Its not a problem, just a flaw in design. Most 2008-2012 Kawasakis do this, especially the 250s. The tank vents through the gas cap and the passage is very narrow, thus creating a high pitched whistle. When you ride for a while and the level of fuel in your tank drops, the noise you hear when you stop is air rushing into your tank. Nothing to worry about at all.

#42 ·
Yes there is a fix, take apart the gas cap, you will see a small red rubber diaphragms, rip that sucker out of there, put cap back together, and enjoy.

Note: the purpose of that diaphragms is to prevent gas from leaking in case of an accident if the bike ends up on its side, even without the diaphragm in place it still only leaks a few drops, theses get old and get stuck, and are simply not worth the hassle

IMHO, I have done this modification to my EX500 going on 6 years without any issues.

#45 · (Edited)
Here are some pictures to help, keep in mind these are a cap off a Ninja 500, but the cap in mostly the same, this mod will eliminate the vapor lock problem that some people have, hope this helps.

also make sure that the vent paths are clear as well.

Attachments

#47 ·
.. I WAS GOING TO SAY TANK VENT, THERE IS A HOSE @ THE RIGHT-REAR OF THE TANK, UNDER FRONT OF SEAT
AND UNDER THE GAS CAP, I TOOK THE CAP/LOCK APART AND FOUND LOTS OF CRAP AND DIRT IN THE LOCK MECHANISM MAKING IT JAM & HARD TO UNLOCK - NEEDS TO BE LUBED ONCE IN A WHILE.

#48 ·
Does anyone experience a high-pitched squeal when the tank builds pressure? (full or empty)

I can park when it's cool in the morning, and as the air temp. rises, it starts to make noise. (even in the garage when it's warm)
Not really a "problem", just annoying.:udontsay
.. I WAS GOING TO SAY TANK VENT, THERE IS A HOSE @ THE RIGHT-REAR OF THE TANK, UNDER FRONT OF SEAT
AND UNDER THE GAS CAP, I TOOK THE CAP/LOCK APART AND FOUND LOTS OF CRAP AND DIRT IN THE LOCK MECHANISM MAKING IT JAM & HARD TO UNLOCK - NEEDS TO BE LUBED ONCE IN A WHILE.

#49 ·
Its pressure building in the fuel tank and it needs to vent properly.

Likely the internal tube inside the tank is clogged- spiders and bugs get in the tube. Most gas caps have venting also. Not sure about this bike

Run a guitar wire through the vent tube an pop the gas cap off and blow air through it .

H2