Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner

Trail Tech Vapor install - pregen streetfighter

12K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Freeze 
#1 · (Edited)
I got a good deal on a Trail Tech Vapor speedo/tach and it's accompanying indicator light surround, and found that the rubber pregen indicator lamp sockets are very similar to Trail Tech's sockets, and that they plug right into the Trail Tech surround, so the intallation went very quickly. I capped off all the other wires, except the black tach wire, which I wired to the Vapor's red tach wire. The grounds and power go to the bike's accessory outlet, and all the wiring is tucked inside the headlight bucket. The water temp sensor threads right into the stock sensor hole in the thermostat housing.

I mounted the whole thing using Trail Tech's L-bracket, ground down and slipped under the fork lock housing and bolted in place with tiny stainless computer screws (not yet installed in this picture). It's a nice, low profile dash, and the speedo is actually accurate for a change. It also weighs about 4 oz, so it's a lot lighter than the stock fairing and instruments.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice job with the conversion

I am trying to mount this gauge to my daughters bike and wondered if you had a picture of it mounted.
Also I wired up the tach like you said, red Vapor wire to the black tach wire and black Vapor wire to ground but the readings are all over the place, wondering if you had the same problem.

#3 · (Edited)
Here are a couple of close-ups:

Here it is after we installed a tubular handlebar (which would also allow the use of Trail Tech's little plastic bar clamp mount):

To settle the tach down, call Trail Tech for a set of wires with the correct resistor installed. Just tell them it's for a Ninja 250, and they'll know what to supply. I think they charge about $15 for the part and shipping.

#5 ·
This is a very cool thread. Very good pictures.

I am interested to know the what and where about the handlebar and its mounts. That mod, plus the round headlight really changes the look of the bike with the plastics removed. It looks like it is supposed to be that way. Modernizes the aesthetics quite a bit.

#6 ·
I got a set of 7/8" handlebar risers from Amazon. See Amazon.com: Universial Motorcycle Bar Handlebar Mounts Riser Clamp 7/8" Standard: Automotive

They are made by Outlaw Racing, and aren't the lightest option, but are useful because you can mount them with a hex-head bolt inserted from the top, which you can then tighten with the triple-clamp in place. You could also find used risers from some other bike (like the '09-'11 Ninja 650r), but you'd have to turn the mounting nuts from underneath.

The triple clamp is soft metal and drills easily, but you have to be careful where you put the holes, to allow room for the nuts underneath. I wish someone made tubular bar adapters that bolted to the stock handlebar holes.

The bars are Renthal Ultra-Low, but any 7/8" bar will work, and they are available in almost unlimited configurations, including clubman.

Another advantage is that you can slide the fork tubes up to lower the front of the bike, which helps if you have lowered the rear to accomodate a shorter rider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.